From 5:30 a.m. on 09/04/2017 through 5:30 a.m. on 09/05/2017, MPD received 363 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials.
Certain calls have recurrent themes in terms of time and labor intensity. For example, when individuals are taken for an evaluation due to a mental health issue or episodic break, MPD does an extensive collaboration with Journey Mental Health in determining the least restrictive option. These are always two officer calls and can routinely last between 5-8 hours (or more). Emergency Detention conveyances are taken to the Winnebago Mental Health Hospital in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. This is a five hour round-trip, including intake, that takes two officers out of our community and creates challenges for us as we attempt to service calls.
1) CENTRAL: Missing Adult – 8:37 a.m. Officers responded to the 1100 block of E. Wilson Street for a report of a missing adult (74 year old AAF with dementia). Officers located the missing adult.
2) EAST: Road Rage – 10:16 a.m. Officers responded to the 1700 block of Thierer Road for a report of a road rage incident. Honking of a vehicle horn followed by a confrontation and some physical contact by two subjects (victim - 30 year old WF and suspect - 33 year old male) resulted in the suspect receiving a citation for disorderly conduct.
3) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 11:00 a.m. Officers responded to Starling Lane for a subject/suspect (18 year old AAM) who forced entry into his mother's residence. The area was checked and the suspect was not located. Probable cause for disorderly conduct and domestic damage to property is awaiting the suspect once he is located/apprehended.
4) NORTH: Drug Incident Overdose – 11:18 a.m. Officers responded to the 1900 block of Northport Drive for a subject (27 year old AAF) having an overdose of pills. The subject was conscious and alert when the officers arrived on location. The subject was released to the care of family members.
5) WEST: Attempt to Locate Person – 11:40 a.m. Officers responded to Hill Creek Drive for a report of a check subject (26 year old WF) who made suicidal comments. Possible addresses checked. Subject not located. Attempt to locate aired for subject/vehicle.
6) SOUTH: Weapons Offense – 1:34 p.m. Officers responded to the 2000 block of Post Road for a report of a man with a gun. A group of people were contacted in the area. The group was cooperative and consented to a search where no weapon was located. The caller refused contact. Nothing concerning was located.
7) SOUTH: Conveyance Mental Health – 1:43 p.m. Officers responded to W. Main Street regarding a subject (52 year old AAM) reporting that all of his family members were killed. Officers made contact with the subject and took him into protective custody due to concerns for his mental well-being. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital for a medical clearance and was eventually transported to Winnebago by two MPD Officers who returned back to Madison at approximately 8:30 p.m.
8) WEST: Juvenile Arrest – 2:33 p.m. Officers responded to the 4200 block of Mineral Point Road where a suspect (13 year old AAM) was threatening to kill a family member throughout the day and was damaging the residence. The suspect was taken into custody, charged with disorderly conduct while armed and criminal damage to property and transported to the Juvenile Reception Center (JRC).
9) WEST: Check Person – 2:36 p.m. Officers responded to the 3100 block of Bradbury Road to check the welfare of a suicidal subject (28 year old WF). The subject was contacted and she agreed to get assistance at a local hospital.
10) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 5:17 p.m. Officers responded to the 1700 block of Northport Drive for a report of people fighting inside of a residence. The suspect (26 year old AAF) was ultimately taken into custody for domestic disorderly conduct and false imprisonment after she refused to allow the victim (male) to leave the residence and threatened to use a knife if he left.
11) SOUTH: Theft – 6:30 p.m. A victim (23 year old WF) came across her bike, that she had previously reported missing, online for sale. A meeting was arranged (near University Book Store) with the suspect for the stolen item which was confirmed to be the victim's. The suspect refused to cooperate with the investigation. He also refused to identify himself. The suspect was arrested for obstructing and possession of stolen property.
12) SOUTH: Adult Arrested Person – 6:35 p.m. Officers responded to Catalpa Circle for a hit and run complaint. The suspect (31 year old HM) had left the scene and refused to answer the door when police attempted contact. Officers heard a loud argument coming from inside the residence and contact was eventually was made. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct as well as Operating While Intoxicated (first offense), 2nd degree recklessly endangering safety and reckless driving after the investigation revealed that the suspect drove up across a terrace narrowly missing children in the parking lot and repeatedly ramming the victim's vehicle (in addition to the first vehicle he had hit).
13) EAST: Weapons Offense Shots Fired – 9:47 p.m. Officers responded to the 4600 block of Valor Way where two callers reported hearing between 6-15 shots fired. Officers responded, checked the area and did not find any evidence of shots fired.
14) SOUTH: Attempted Homicide – 10:08 p.m. Officers responded to the 1900 block of Third Avenue after multiple callers reports hearing shots fired along with a vehicle/subject fleeing the area. Officers located shattered glass and other evidence upon arrival to the scene. A victim (24 year old AAM) with multiple gunshot wounds transported himself to a local hospital. Victim not cooperative. Investigation continuing.
15) EAST: Weapons Offense Shots Fired – 10:56 p.m. Officers responded to the 900 block of Vernon Ave where multiple callers reported hearing shots fired. Officers responded, checked the area and did not find any evidence of shots fired.
16) WEST: Weapons Offense Shots Fired – 12:28 a.m. Officers responded to the 5300 block of Tolman Terrace where multiple callers reported hearing shots fired. Officers responded, checked the area and did not find any evidence of shots fired.
17) CENTRAL: Armed Robbery – 1:44 a.m. Officers responded to the 100 block of W. Gilman for a report of an armed robbery. The victim (21 year old WF) was walking home when the suspect (AAM, unknown age) became physically aggressive towards her and demanded money. Investigation continuing.
18) EAST: OMVWI Arrest/Intoxicated Driver – 2:31 a.m. Officers on patrol came across a single vehicle crash near the intersection of Hwy 51 an Hwy 151. The suspect driver (22 year old WF) was cooperative at first but became combative once being placed into an ambulance. The suspect punched a firefighter and she had to be restrained. The suspect was also positively identified as being a suspect in an earlier disturbance at a nearby gas station. The suspect was transported to a local hospital for an evaluation. Her charges include operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (first offense), battery to a firefighter and misdemeanor bail jumping.
19) SOUTH: Conveyance Mental Health – 3:30 a.m. Officers responded to a local hospital for an emergency detention of a subject (35 year old WM). Due to minimum staffing and calls for service, two MPD officers conducted the transport to Winnebago on overtime. The officers arrived at Winnebago at approximately 5:55 a.m.