From 5:30 a.m. on 04/06/2018 through 5:30 a.m. on 04/07/2018, MPD received 460 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
1) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense – 5:31 a.m. Officers responded to the 100 block of W. Washington Avenue for a report of a subject armed with a knife and pepper spray causing a disturbance. The suspect (27-year-old WM) was located and arrested for felon in possession of OC spray.
2) NORTH: Stolen Auto – 7:00 a.m. Officers responded to Clove Drive for a report of a stolen auto. The suspect (36-year-old WM) was known to the registered owner. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Later in the day, at 9:25 p.m., East officers recovered the auto and located the suspect (36-year-old WM) hiding in the area. The suspect admitted to taking the car without the owner's consent and he was arrested and taken to the Dane County Jail.
3) SOUTH: Stolen Auto – 7:51 a.m. Officers responded to Ashford Lane for a report of a stolen auto that was left running, unlocked and unoccupied. The suspect was described as an AAM teenager. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
4) NORTH: Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 8:36 a.m. Officers responded to Graceland Avenue for a report of shots fired that occurred around 3:30 a.m. The caller located a bullet hole to the side of his vehicle this morning. No injuries were reported. No other casings were located. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Crash – 8:58 a.m. Officers responded to N. Sherman Avenue for a crash. A subject (24-year-old WF) parked her vehicle at a convenience store, left it running and went inside the store leaving her children in the vehicle. While the subject was inside the store, the children managed to put the vehicle into drive and the vehicle rolled into another parked (unoccupied) vehicle. No injuries were sustained. Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Death Investigation – 9:56 a.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a deceased subject (47-year-old WM). Medical Examiner's office responded. Nothing suspicious on scene. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 3:44 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence to arrest a suspect (31-year-old MA). Probable cause to arrest the suspect had been developed for 1st degree sexual assault of a child from a 2017 case. The suspect was arrested without incident.
8) WEST: Violation of Court Order – 4:29 p.m. MPD was dispatched to a residence on Schroeder Road for a violation of a court order. The suspect (29-year-old AAM) had been served with paperwork and told to leave the property earlier in the day. The suspect returned and the police were called. The suspect was conveyed to the Dane County Jail for violation of a restraining order.
9) CENTRAL: Check Person – 5:46 p.m. MPD was dispatched to the YWCA on East Mifflin Street for a check person. The subject (26-year-old WF) was yelling at staff and providing vague suicidal statements. Officers responded and noted that this was the second call of the day for this same subject. Officers consulted Journey Mental Health who advised that the subject was not an appropriate candidate for evaluation at this time. Officers stabilized the scene and allowed the subject to continue to remain without sanctions.
10) NORTH: Attempted Suicide – 7:20 p.m. MPD was dispatched along with MFD to a subject (23-year-old WM) that had hung himself in a bathroom on Northport Drive. MFD arrived prior to officers and began lifesaving measures. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital. Investigation continuing.
11) NORTH: Drug Incident Overdose – 7:39 p.m. MPD was dispatched to check the welfare of a subject at a residence on North Sherman Avenue. Officers arrived and made entry into the residence, locating the subject (36-year-old WM) unconscious on the couch. MFD treated the subject and he was transported to a local hospital. No naloxone was administered. While on scene, officers observed a plethora of drugs and drug paraphernalia and seized those items, which were in plain view. The subject is on probation and Department of Corrections (DOC) issued a hold. Investigation continuing.
12) NORTH: Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 8:34 p.m. MPD was dispatched to the Coolidge Street/North Lawn Avenue area for several callers reporting a single gunshot. Officers responded and were unable to locate any damage or evidence. Investigation continuing.
13) NORTH: Armed Robbery – 9:18 p.m. North officers investigated an armed robbery of a delivery person. The victim (27-year-old MA) arrived at the delivery address on East Bluff, which appeared to be a vacant property, and called the person who made the order. The suspect emerged and tried to pay with a fake bill, which the victim knew to be bogus. Two other suspects approached and one was armed with a knife. The victim advised all three suspects were 18 to 24-year-old AAMs. Investigation continuing. Press release completed.
14) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 12:00 a.m. North officers were dispatched to McCormick Avenue as a neighbor could hear a disturbance which sounded physical and the caller reported hearing a male threatening to kill people. Officers arrived and heard screaming and doors slamming. When officers made contact, the suspect (52-year-old WM) was intoxicated and had been yelling and threatening his girlfriend (52-year-old WF) and daughter (27-year-old WF). The suspect tried closing the door on the officers but fell down. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct and was taken to the Dane County Jail.
15) CENTRAL: Sexual Assault – 3:33 a.m. A 24-year-old woman flagged down a passerby to call police after she was sexually assaulted by a stranger near E. Johnson Street and N. Blair Street. The victim said she was walking in the area when she was pushed into some bushes by a man dressed in dark clothing. She told police a car pulled in close to where the assault was happening which caused her attacker to flee. Investigation continuing.