The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:30 a.m. on 05/01/2018 through 5:30 a.m. on 05/02/2018, MPD received 460 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
1) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 5:26 a.m. Officers responded to the 7200 block of Watts Rd to check the welfare of a subject (27-year-old AAM) who was acting suspiciously. Complainants advised that it appeared the subject was "casing" the store as a precursor to robbery. Officers arrived on scene and attempted to dialogue with the subject. The subject/suspect would not listen to officers and concealed his hands. The suspect pulled a silver object, which turned out to be a flashlight, and shined it in officer's faces. The suspect was taken into custody. The suspect refused to identify himself. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting. * This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 6:45 a.m. Officers responded, at the request of Department of Corrections, to the 6200 block of Mineral Point Rd to contact a suspect for a probation violation. The suspect (70-year-old WM) was contacted, arrested and conveyed to jail.
3) SOUTH: Information – 8:20 a.m. Officers responded to a report that a victim (17-year-old WF) was sexually assaulted by a known suspect (33-year-old AAM). Investigation continuing.
4) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 8:30 a.m. Officers responded, along with EMS, to N. Third St regarding a subject (44-year-old WF) having a possible seizure. During the transport to a local hospital, the subject became combative and bit a firefighter. The subject spit at and scratched an MPD officer. Cocaine and drug paraphernalia were located on the subject. The subject was charged with multiple counts of battery to a police officer, battery to a firefighter, discharging bodily fluids, possession of cocaine, possession of drug paraphernalia and a probation hold and conveyed to jail after being cleared from the hospital.
5) SOUTH: Theft from Auto – 8:34 a.m. A shotgun was reported stolen out of a vehicle that was accidently left unlocked on the south side of town. The gun was entered as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Weapons Offense – 9:25 a.m. Officers responded to Fairmont for a subject (50-year-old WM) who was intoxicated and observed in possession of a firearm. Officers arrived on scene and observed the subject on his front porch. The subject refused to comply with officer's instructions. No gun was observed so officers approached and the suspect was taken into custody. The suspect resisted arrest. A firearm was located at the scene. The suspect was charged with endangering safety by use of a dangerous weapon while intoxicated, domestic disorderly conduct and resisting.
7) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 2:55 p.m. Officers responded to the 600 block of E. Washington Ave for a subject (26-year-old AAM) who was trespassing. Investigation revealed that the same subject also battered a female acquaintance (35-year-old WF). The suspect was arrested for battery and issued a municipal citation for trespassing.
8) EAST: Suspicious Vehicle – 4:25 p.m. Officers responded to Webb Ave for a report of a suspicious vehicle. Officers observed a subject who was wanted. The subject/suspect (23-year-old AAF) was contacted and she lied about her identity. The suspect was conveyed to jail on eight outstanding charges and an additional charge for obstructing.
9) NORTH: Juvenile Arrest – 5:15 p.m. Officers responded to the 2900 block of N. Sherman Ave for a report of a verbal altercation among several female juveniles. Contact was made with the juveniles and they were sent on their way (in separate directions). Shortly thereafter, officers responded to a physical disturbance down the street involving the same subjects. Two suspects were identified to have battered a victim. The suspects (AAFs, ages 16 and 15) were arrested for substantial battery and disorderly conduct and conveyed to the Juvenile Reception Center. The victim (14-year-old WF) was conveyed to a local hospital to have her broken nose treated.
10) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 5:21 p.m. Officers responded to Packers Ave where they contacted a victim (41-year-old WM) who reported that an acquaintance/suspect (49-year-old WM) damaged his vehicle. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct while armed and criminal damage to property. The suspect also had an outstanding warrant.
11) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 5:36 p.m. Officers responded to the 3600 block of Kipling Dr for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (26-year-old AAF victim and 26-year-old AAM suspect). The suspect pushed the victim several times during an argument. The suspect fled prior to the arrival of officers. Officers made contact with the suspect via phone but he refused to meet with them. Once the suspect is located, he will be arrested for domestic battery and domestic disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
12) EAST: Information – 6:00 p.m. Officers responded to Dempsey Rd where they met with a mother who wished to report some marks on her child (5-year-old WM). The child was asleep and was not observed by officers. Child Protective Services plugged in. A safety plan was in place. Investigation continuing.
13) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 6:10 p.m. Officers responded to Kedzie St where a victim (54-year-old WF) reported being grabbed and having her phone broken by a suspect (55-year-old AAM). The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct. A second subject (54-year-old WM) on scene was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (4th offense).
14) MIDTOWN: Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 6:11 p.m. Officers responded to Atticus Way for a report of a disturbance with shots fired. The scene was chaotic when officers arrived. Multiple subjects were said to be involved and numerous apartment numbers were provided to contact them. Subjects were contacted and inconsistent explanations for what occurred were provided. Alcohol and marijuana were found to be involved. Two guns were located. One suspect (29-year-old WM) was arrested for 2nd degree reckless and negligent handling of a firearm. Investigation continuing.
15) MIDTOWN: Mental Health Conveyance – 7:11 p.m. Officers responded to a local hospital for a subject (45-year-old AAF) in need of an emergency detention. The subject was conveyed to Winnebago. Total time for this call was approximately 10 hours due to the complexities involved.
16) SOUTH: Adult Arrested Person – 7:27 p.m. Officers responded to Turbot Dr for a report of a domestic disturbance between two subjects (20-year-old WF victim and 25-year-old AAM suspect). The suspect pushed the victim against a wall, which was observed by a witness. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct.
17) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 9:40 p.m. Officers made contact with a subject (27-year-old AAF) who reported being followed in her vehicle by a known subject (30-year-old AAM). The female subject abandoned her vehicle at some point hoping to lose the suspect. She fled and contacted police. Officers were unable to contact the male subject. The female's vehicle was later found to have been a subject of a crash. The driver of the vehicle involved in the crash suffered a minor laceration. Investigation continuing.
18) NORTH: Disturbance – 12:55 a.m. Officers responded to the 5100 block of West Terrace Dr for a subject (33-year-old WM) causing a disturbance. The subject was intoxicated and making aggressive/sexual statements toward various individuals. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct.
19) MIDTOWN: Non-Residential Burglary – 3:55 a.m. Officers responded to Russet Rd for an alarm sounding on a school building. Officers located an unsecured door. Officers cleared the building and arrested two 15 year-old juveniles (AAF and AAM) and conveyed them to the Juvenile Reception Center. Investigation continuing.