The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 08/24/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 08/25/2018, MPD received 492 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 492 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (112), East (83), Midtown (67), North (60), South (44), West (67), and Other (59). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) EAST: Death Investigation – 8:46 a.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a report of a deceased subject (80-year-old WF). Nothing suspicious on scene. The decedent had multiple health concerns. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
2) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 12:40 p.m. Officers took a wanted suspect (30-year-old AAM) into custody on S. Carroll St. The suspect was wanted for a shooting incident that occurred earlier in the year. Investigation continuing.
3) NORTH: Information/Sexual Assault – 1:50 pm. Officers were sent to 301 Troy Dr (Mendota Hospital) for a sexual assault report. Two live-in residents were reported to be involved in a sexual encounter one day earlier. The incident was documented, staff were interviewed, affected parties of interest were contacted and video was obtained. Investigation continuing.
4) NORTH: Information/Bomb Threat - 1:59 pm. Officers were dispatched to the 5100 block of West Terrace Dr for a report of a bomb threat. Officers arrived and spoke to an on-site manager. The call apparently originated from a suspect (65 year old WM) in northwest WI who called an off-site customer service rep and became upset. Officers checked the building and found nothing suspicious. Law enforcement agencies in northwest WI were notified and will conduct follow-up investigation. Investigation continuing.
5) SOUTH: Weapons Offense – 2:30 pm. Officers were dispatched to a person with a knife near the intersection of Appleton Rd and Fish Hatchery Rd. Officers arrived and located two persons involved in a dispute. The suspect (20 year old AAF) and the victim (18 year old AAF) are in a relationship and were having a dispute about infidelities. The suspect produced an approximate 1" folding knife and chased the victim with it. Officers arrested the suspect and she resisted. Suspect was charged with disorderly conduct while armed and resisting/obstructing.
6) EAST: Death Investigation – 3:51 pm. Decedent (59 year old WM) was found on the floor of his residence unresponsive and beyond any life saving measures. Drug paraphernalia was located on scene. The medical examiner responded. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Weapons Offense – 4:16 pm. Officers were dispatched to N Thompson Dr for a subject wanting to report shots fired during a previous disturbance on the 15th. A potential suspect was identified and interviewed. Investigation continuing.
8) EAST: Arrested Person/Injured Officer – 8:38 pm. An officer was on foot patrol in East Towne Mall when a shoplifter was called to his attention. The officer contacted the suspect (23 year old AAF). Suspect was placed under arrest and resisted by kicking and punching. The officer was hit in the face and sustained a bloody lip and chin. Suspect was charged with battery, battery to a police officer, resisting arrest, and retail theft.
9) CENTRAL: Information/Sexual Assault -- 9:22 pm. Officers were called for a 53 year old WF subject who was reported to be incapacitated by alcohol or other drugs at the laundromat in the 2000 block of Winnebago St. Contact was made and the subject was placed under protective custody and taken to detox. The subject subsequently disclosed she was touched without her consent by a 57 year old WM suspect who had been at the laundromat. The suspect was contacted and there was probable cause to arrest him for disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
10) SOUTH: Disturbance/Unwanted Person – 10:35 pm. Officers were called to the Labor Temple in the 1600 block of S. Park St for a 21 year old AAF who was making nonsensical statements and was swearing at the call taker about a debit card. The suspect was detained and arrested for disorderly conduct, resisting and trespassing. Suspect was taken to the Dane County Jail.
11) EAST: Robbery Strong Arm – 12:33 am. Officers were called to the Kwik Trip in the 4400 block of E Buckeye Rd for a customer who reported being robbed in the parking lot. The victim (34 year old WM) was walking out of the store when he was approached by a white male suspect who pushed the victim and grabbed the victim's wallet. The victim then grabbed onto the suspect and they wrestled on the ground. The suspect got up and said he had a knife before fleeing the scene with the victim's wallet. The suspect has not been located at this time. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense – 9:36 pm. Officers responded for a person shot in the 300 block of W Mifflin St. Officers located a 22 year old white male who was shot in the leg. The victim was transported to a local hospital by MFD. A black 4 door vehicle was seen fleeing the scene. Investigation continuing. Press release completed.
***Breaking news: WEST: Homicide Investigation--6:52 am. Officers were sent to the 2000 block of Cameron Dr reference a potential homicide. Investigation continuing. See press release.