The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 09/18/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 09/19/2018, MPD received 463 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 463 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (98), East (84), Midtown (75), North (49), South (55), West (59), and Other (43). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 8:39 a.m. Officers responded to a domestic disturbance on Cottage Grove Rd between two subjects (UF victim and AAM suspect). The subjects have a child-in-common and got into an argument. The suspect refused to leave the residence and broke the victim's computer. When the police were called, the suspect fled, taking their 1-year-old child with him. The suspect was spoken to on the phone but he refused to meet with officers. Investigation continuing.
2) MIDTOWN: Battery – 9:00 a.m. Officers responded to a local hospital where a medical staff member/victim reported being battered/assaulted by the suspect (28-year-old AAM). The suspect was arrested for felony battery to a protected class (emergency medical personnel).
3) EAST: Residential Burglary – 1:31 p.m. Officers responded to Union St for a report of a burglary. The caller observed a suspect (AAM) pounding on the front door of a residence and kicking in the door. The suspect was then observed fleeing through backyards. The homeowner/victim (28-year-old WF) discovered that a loaded gun was stolen from her home, along with electronics. K9 track conducted. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Death Investigation – 2:39 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a deceased subject (79-year-old WF). The decedent had some medical concerns. Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Medical Examiner's office responded.
5) NORTH: Information/Sexual Assault – 4:59 p.m. Officers met with a victim (20-year-old WF) who reported forced sexual contact occurred with a suspect she met on social media. Investigation continuing.
6) CENTRAL: Drug Incident/Overdose – 6:12 p.m. Officers responded to E. Mifflin St to check the welfare of a subject (55-year-old AAF). Entry was made to the residence and the subject was found unconscious. CCR was performed and the subject was revived. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital where it was confirmed she had overdosed on prescription drugs.
7) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 7:41 p.m. Officers responded to Jenifer St for a disturbance where a suspect (63-year-old WM) damaged a vehicle. The suspect was cited for criminal damage to property and was also taken into protective custody due to mental health concerns. The suspect was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. Journey Mental Health consulted. Investigation continuing.
8) MIDTOWN: Armed Robbery – 8:54 p.m. Officers responded to the BP Gas Station on Speedway Rd for an armed robbery. The suspect (AAM) was armed with a handgun and demanded money. The suspect fled with cash. K9 track conducted. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Check Person – 9:14 p.m. Officers responded to Dunning St to check the welfare of a subject (26-year-old WF) having a possible mental health breakdown. The subject was taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital. Journey Mental Health plugged in. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Aggravated/Substantial Battery – 10:56 p.m. Officers met with a victim (35-year-old WM) who reported being battered and strangled by a suspect (42-year-old HM). The victim suffered a broken left orbital and was conveyed to a local hospital for treatment. The suspect was arrested and charged with substantial battery and strangulation.
11) NORTH: Disturbance – 11:05 p.m. Officers responded to Troy Drive for a disturbance where a suspect (65-year-old AAM) was making threats, which included burning down a house. The suspect was uncooperative with officers. He was taken into custody and charged with resisting, disorderly conduct, lewd and lascivious behavior and bail jumping.