September (2018) crime summary information continued – Stolen Autos
There were 39 reports of stolen autos in September (2018). In September (2017) there were 45 stolen auto reports received, thus we saw a 13.3% decrease last month. Through the end of September, we took 295 reports of stolen autos, which represents a 4.6% increase compared to the same time-frame last year when we saw 282 stolen autos.
Where did these incidents occur per district in September?
- East: 10
- North: 5
- Central: 2
- West: 13
- Midtown: 4
- South: 5
So far, 32 of the 39 reported stolen autos from September have been recovered. Of the vehicles stolen in September (39), 34 of them had keys in them and 6 were unlocked and running at the time of the theft. We also found that many vehicles were stolen from open garages at night. Two guns were also stolen from vehicles in September.
**The provided stats are based upon the best data available at the time of publication.
The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 10/09/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 10/10/2018, MPD received 472 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 472 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (69), East (92), Midtown (69), North (82), South (44), West (80), and Other (36). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) EAST: Domestic Disturbance/Mental Health Conveyance– 5:26 a.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a domestic disturbance. The caller (43-year-old WF) reported being hit by her 18-year-old son (WM). The 18-year-old also hit the caller's daughter and was damaging their residence. The subject was evaluated and officers had legal grounds for an emergency detention and domestic-related charges. The subject was eventually conveyed to Winnebago. Charges may be forthcoming. Investigation continuing.
2) WEST: Death Investigation – 8:32 a.m. Officers responded to a west side residence for a deceased subject (48-year-old WF). Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
3) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 8:37 a.m. Officers responded to Stonecreek Drive for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (26-year-old UF victim and 26-year-old WM suspect). The subjects were arguing when the suspect threw a phone in the direction of the victim which struck her 6-year-old child, causing pain. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct and physical abuse to a child.
4) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 10:00 a.m. A search warrant was executed at a north side residence. Several adults were taken into custody. Charges are forthcoming. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Theft from Auto – 10:41 a.m. Officers responded to a north side residence where a subject (25-year-old WM) reported that his vehicle had been rifled through overnight and a gun was missing. The vehicle was left in the driveway, unlocked overnight. Investigation continuing.
6) CENTRAL: Mental Health Conveyance – 11:14 a.m. Officers responded to John Nolen Drive to check the welfare of a subject (23-year-old AAM). The subject was taken into protective custody (due to concerns for his mental health/suicidal ideations) and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. A gun was located in the subject's vehicle. Journey Mental Health consulted. Investigation continuing.
7) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 12:05 p.m. Officers responded to Blair/E. Washington to check the welfare of subject (32-year-old WM) who was running up and down the street and believed to be under the influence of drugs. The subject was also observed running up to a female (20-year-old WF) and had unlawful sexual contact with her. The subject was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, lewd and lascivious behavior and 4th degree sexual assault.
8) MIDTOWN: Information/Sexual Assault – 3:21 p.m. Officers met with a victim (19-year-old WF) who reported a sexual assault with a known suspect (36-year-old AAM) that occurred several weeks ago. The victim did not wish to pursue any charges at this time. Investigation continuing.
9) NORTH: Stolen Auto – 4:09 p.m. Officers took a report of a stolen auto from the north side of town. The victim (47-year-old HF) believes she may have dropped her keys somewhere. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
10) WEST: Threats Complaint – 4:35 p.m. Officers responded to Park Ridge Dr for an ongoing dispute between neighbors. A primary aggressor/suspect (32-year-old WM) was identified and arrested for disorderly conduct with a hate crime enhancer and a probation hold.
11) NORTH: Stolen Auto – 4:54 p.m. Officers took a report of a stolen vehicle. The victim (51-year-old WM) reported that his son had his vehicle when he was arrested a few weeks ago. It is believed that an associate of his son took the vehicle without permission. The associate/subject was contacted by the victim who denied knowledge of where the vehicle is. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense – 9:24 p.m. Officers responded to the 600 block of State St where a victim (25-year-old WM) was stabbed at a bus stop by a suspect who asked him for money. The suspect (WM) was not on scene when officers arrived. The victim received medical attention (stitches) for his non-life threatening injuries. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
13) NORTH: Information – 9:48 p.m. Officers contacted a juvenile who had reportedly made some vague threats towards other students. The threats were not found to be credible. No charges have been substantiated at this time. Investigation continuing.
14) SOUTH: Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 10:54 p.m. Officers responded to Luann Lane for reports of shots fired. Several callers weighed in on this and an officer corroborated hearing the shots fired. Areas checked. No signs of shots fired located. Additional canvassing may be necessary during daylight hours. Investigation continuing.