The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 10/22/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 10/23/2018, MPD received 421 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 421 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (65), East (73), Midtown (84), North (62), South (31), West (79), and Other (27). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 3:20pm to 11:10pm**
1) CENTRAL: Multiple/Nuisance 911 Calls – 5:37am. A call came in to 911 from a subject who has been making multiple prank calls to 911 in recent days. Little information was provided by the caller, but officers investigated to the best of their ability and determined none of the allegations in the call were true. Investigation continuing.
2) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 10:46am. Officers responded to the 600 block of Struck St for a report of a disturbance. Officers learned that a physical altercation began between a father (56-year-old HM) and son (25-year-old HM) after the son's wife told him about inappropriate conduct by the father at their residence in Middleton earlier that day. Investigation continuing.
3) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 11:28am. Officers responded to Straubel Ct for a report of a man threatening a child with a knife. Upon further investigation, officers learned that this was not true, but did find that a disturbance had occurred between the suspect (26-year-old AAM) and his girlfriend (26-year-old AAF). The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct and taken to jail.
4) MIDTOWN: Death Investigation – 12:17pm. Officers responded to the near west side to check the welfare of a subject (68-year-old WM) who relatives had not heard from in a few days. Officers located the subject deceased in his residence. There were no signs of foul play on scene.
5) EAST: Adult Arrested Person/Warrant – 1:59pm. Officers responded to the 200 block of Swanton Rd in an attempt to locate a suspect (26-year-old AAM) who was wanted by Milwaukee PD. The suspect was located in the area and he was arrested and taken to jail on several warrants.
6) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense – 3:01pm. Officers responded to the Madison Public Library at 201 W Mifflin St for a report of subject carrying a gun on his hip. Officers searched the area but could not locate anyone matching the description of the subject. Investigation continuing.
7) NORTH: Disturbance – 3:28pm. Officers responded to the 2100 block of N Sherman Ave for a report of a disturbance. The complainant (32-year-old AAF) told officers about an ongoing dispute with the suspect (33-year-old AAM) regarding money owed and property not being returned. On today's date, the suspect had allegedly made threats over the phone, prompting the complainant to contact police. Investigation continuing.
8) EAST: Overdose – 4:34pm. An officer working on an unrelated call in the area of US Hwy 151 and Nelsen Rd was approached by a citizen who told him about two subjects (39-year-old WM, 33-year-old WF) passed out in a vehicle. Officers responded to the vehicle and revived both suspects with naloxone. The two suspects were then conveyed to the hospital. Probable cause was developed for the male suspect for OMVWI-1st offense. Investigation continuing.
9) NORTH: Check Person – 5:14pm. Officers were dispatched to the area of N Sherman Ave and Roth St for a report of a subject behaving erratically. Officers contacted the subject (33-year-old WM) and conveyed him to the hospital to be evaluated.
10) CENTRAL: Animal Complaint – 5:48pm. Officers were dispatched to the area of S Ingersoll St and Williamson St for a report of dog that had bitten a child. Officers learned that the victim (6-year-old WF) crossed paths with the dog and owner on a walk and asked to pet the dog, at which point the dog bit the victim. The victim was conveyed to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries and the Dane County Humane Society was also informed of the incident. Investigation continuing.
11) WEST: Adult Arrested Person/Violation of Court Order – 6:07pm. Officers responded to Whitlock Rd for a report of ongoing unwanted contact. Officers found that the suspect (26-year-old UM) had violated a court order against having contact with the victim (24-year-old UF). He was contacted and arrested for a harassment injunction violation and stalking.
12) CENTRAL: Burglary-Residential – 6:27pm. Officers responded to Reston Heights Dr for a report of a burglary. The victims (49-year-old WM, 53-year-old WM) reported that they had found two suspects (both teenaged AAM) in the garage. When confronted, one suspect pointed a handgun at the victims. The suspects fled in a vehicle that was determined to have been stolen out of Monona. See incident summary on MPD website for further information and updates. Investigation continuing.
13) EAST: Traffic Crash/OMVWI – 8:12pm. Officers responded to the 7000 block of Cottage Grove Rd for a report of a vehicle that had crashed into a tree. Officers found the driver (27-year-old WM) unconscious and breathing in the vehicle and located drug paraphernalia in the vehicle. The suspect was arrested for OMVWI-1st offense, possession of drug paraphernalia, and unsafe lane deviation and was taken to the hospital. He was given paperwork related to the Madison Addiction Recovery Initiative program.
14) SOUTH: Armed Robbery – 9:07pm. Officers responded to the 1800 block of Fisher St for a report of an armed robbery. The victim (18-year-old WM) reported that an AAM acquaintance and another unknown AAM had robbed him at gunpoint. See incident summary on MPD website for further information and updates. Investigation continuing.
15) NORTH: Burglary-Residential – 11:55pm. Officers responded to Winchester St for a report of a burglary. The victim (23-year-old WM) had returned from work to find that his home had been broken into. He reported that four guns had been taken during this incident. See incident summary on MPD website for further information and updates. Investigation continuing.
16) NORTH: OMVWI – 12:04am. Officers responded to the 400 block of Troy Dr for a report of a subject who was stumbling and falling down that was attempting to enter a vehicle. Officers located the vehicle, parked and running, with a single occupant (37-year-old WM) unconscious in the driver's seat. Officers revived the suspect with naloxone and transported him the hospital, where he was charged with OMVWI-1st offense.