The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 11/25/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 11/26/2018, MPD received 305 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 305 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (47), East (54), Midtown (53), North (46), South (33), West (51), and Other (21). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) CENTRAL: Traffic Incident – 8:20 a.m. Officers responded to Olin Ave at John Nolen Drive for a single vehicle crash. The driver/suspect (22-year-old AAM) was driving at a high rate of speed when he was unable to make a turn properly. The vehicle went over a median, struck a traffic sign and hit railroad crossing equipment. The suspect and a passenger fled from the vehicle, but both were located. The passenger sustained minor facial injuries. The suspect was cited for imprudent speed and failure to control a vehicle.
2) WEST: Check Person – 10:01 a.m. Officers were dispatched to a preserve the peace call on the west side of town. The caller (31-year-old AAM) requested police escort him to his parent's home, as he is on probation and not allowed to go there, to collect some belongings. The caller's parents did not want their son to come to their home and suggested they gather the items needed. The caller refused to identify where he was at. Officers were not able to make contact with the caller to assist with the request.
3) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 12:18 p.m. Officers responded to check the welfare of a "16-year-old" female. Officers made contact with the subject/suspect (20-year-old HF) who lied about her identity and gave varying stories to officers about what she was doing. The suspect confessed to lying about her identity. The suspect was arrested for obstructing.
4) WEST: Information/Disturbance – 12:49 p.m. Officers met with a victim (UM) who reported that a suspect (UF) stole money from him and pepper-sprayed him. The victim gave conflicting statements. This situation stemmed from a date set up on a social media app. Investigation continuing.
5) CENTRAL: Domestic Disturbance – 12:53 p.m. Officers responded to a residence for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (25-year-old HF victim and 26-year-old AAM suspect). The victim reported that the suspect threatened to kill her with a knife and cut her face with his hand as he put his hand over her mouth. The suspect also prevented the victim from calling 911. The victim sustained visible injuries. The suspect was arrested for battery, disorderly conduct, intimidation of a victim and criminal damage to property (all domestic-related charges).
6) WEST: Information/Injury – 10:26 p.m. Officers, along with MFD, responded to a west side residence regarding a child (6-month-old) with a broken arm. The child was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation/treatment. There were inconsistencies about how the child obtained the injury. Child Protective Services contacted. The child was released and allowed to go home. No charges have been substantiated at this time. Investigation continuing.
7) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 11:35 p.m. Officers responded to a north side residence for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (45-year-old AAF victim and 43-year-old AAM suspect). The caller indicated that the victim had been beaten up by the suspect. The suspect was not on scene when officers arrived. The victim had visible injuries. While on scene, the suspect called several times and spoke to officers. The suspect threatened to harm himself. A phone ping was conducted. The suspect was located and arrested for 2nd degree recklessly endangering safety, domestic substantial battery and disorderly conduct while armed.
8) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 12:15 a.m. Officers responded to E. Wilson St for an unwanted subject/suspect (31-year-old AAM). The suspect was contacted and had a pending probation/parole hold. The suspect was arrested and conveyed to jail. ** The suspect was identified as the caller in #2 above.
9) CITY-WIDE: Assist Law Enforcement – 1:31 a.m. MPD was notified of a subject (WM) entering a convenience store in the Town of Blooming Grove (Dane County Sheriff's Office jurisdiction) making vague threats. Photos of the subject were disseminated for identification request. No immediate safety concerns were identified. Dane County Sheriff's Office has the lead on this investigation.
10) EAST: Intoxicated Driver – 2:03 a.m. Officers responded to Hwy 12 at Millpond Rd for a single-vehicle rollover crash. A vehicle was located but no occupants. A subject/suspect (21-year-old HM) was located nearby and determined to be the driver. The suspect was intoxicated. The suspect was conveyed to a local hospital and subsequently arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (2nd offense).