The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 12/03/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 12/04/2018, MPD received 427 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 427 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (72), East (83), Midtown (65), North (54), South (50), West (69), and Other (34). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) MIDTOWN: Theft from Auto – 5:32 a.m. Officers responded to Hammersley Rd for a report of a theft from auto. The victim (58-year-old WM) discovered that two firearms were taken from his vehicle overnight. The victim was not sure if his vehicle was locked. Investigation continuing. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) EAST: Crash – 9:13 a.m. Officers responded to E. Washington Ave/Thierer Rd for a crash. The suspect driver (21-year-old AAM) struck the victim's (59-year-old WM) vehicle which then caused the victim's vehicle to strike a fire hydrant. No injuries were reported. A female subject (AAF) was observed taking a bag out of the trunk of the suspect's vehicle and leaving the scene before officers arrived. The suspect was cited for operating after suspension and failure to make turning movement in safety. Investigation continuing.
3) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 12:52 p.m. Officers responded to a residence to make contact with a subject (53-year-old WF) who was making multiple calls to 911 about people trying to kill her. MPD Mental Health Officer and Journey Mental Health Crisis Worker responded to meet with the subject. Investigation continuing.
4) CENTRAL: Armed Robbery – 1:56 p.m. Officers responded to Spirit gas station at 1130 Williamson St for a report of an armed robbery. The suspect (WM) demanded cash and stated he had a gun (although no gun was observed). The suspect fled with cash. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
5) CENTRAL: Death Investigation – 3:47 p.m. Officers responded to a residence regarding a deceased subject (66-year-old WM). Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Retail Theft – 4:32 p.m. Officers responded to East Towne Mall for a retail theft in progress. The suspect (53-year-old AAM) was contacted and arrested. The suspect required a medical clearance so he was conveyed to a local hospital where he was subsequently left with two misdemeanor citations for retail theft. The suspect also has a pending warrant. Investigation continuing.
7) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 7:39 p.m. Officers responded to Schroeder Rd for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (27-year-old WF victim and 31-year-old WM suspect). The couple were engaged in a verbal argument when things escalated. The suspect broke items in the home during the altercation. The suspect was arrested for criminal damage to property and disorderly conduct (domestic-related charges).
8) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 8:31 p.m. Officers responded to a residence for a domestic disturbance between a suspect (30-year-old WM) and his parents/victims (WF and WM). The suspect was drinking and taking pills when an argument ensued with his parents. The suspect pushed his mother and damaged her phone. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct (2 counts), intimidation of a victim and battery (domestic-related charges).
9) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance – 9:15 p.m. Officers responded to a south side residence for a domestic disturbance between a suspect (37-year-old WM) and his mother/victim (57-year-old WF) and his sister/victim (42-year-old WF). The suspect and his mother got into a verbal argument which escalated. The suspect punched his mother and damaged the walls. The suspect confronted his sister when she tried to intervene. The suspect was not on scene when officers arrived. Once located, the suspect will be arrested for domestic criminal damage to property and domestic disorderly conduct (2 counts). Investigation continuing.
10) WEST: Mental Health Conveyance – 12:19 a.m. Officers responded to a west side residence to check the welfare of a subject (29-year-old UF). The subject was taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. An emergency detention is being sought. Investigation continuing.