The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 12/07/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 12/08/2018, MPD received 492 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 492 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (90), East (99), Midtown (88), North (77), South (45), West (66), and Other (27). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) WEST: Non-Residential Burglary – 7:38 a.m. Officers responded to the Jiffy Lube on Maple Valley Drive for a report of a burglary. The suspect forced entry into the business and stole cash. Suspect remains at-large and is unidentified. Investigation continuing.
2) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 7:57 a.m. A 34-year-old WM was arrested for using a victim's (46-year-old HF) debit card (the victim's purse was stolen a few weeks ago). The suspect was located on E. Washington Ave. Probable cause was also developed to arrest a second suspect (52-year-old AAF) but she remains at-large. Additional follow-up and charges forthcoming. Investigation continuing.
3) SOUTH: Information/Check Person – 8:44 a.m. Officers were notified by school officials (Badger Rock Middle School) that a subject (48-year-old WM) was walking on a sidewalk near the school and made some inappropriate comments/threats towards children. The male subject has significant cognitive disabilities. The threats were not deemed to be legitimate. The subject will be meeting with his community providers today and a plan will be crafted to take preventative measures in the future. No criminal charges were substantiated. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
4) EAST: Check Person – 12:06 p.m. Officers responded to an east side care facility/residence regarding a subject (13-year-old WM) causing damage to windows with a rock. The subject has significant mental health concerns. The subject was taken into protective custody without incident and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. MPD Mental Health Officer plugged in. Investigation continuing.
5) WEST: Crash – 4:08 pm. The suspect vehicle was southbound on Bear Claw Way when it struck the victim vehicle which was eastbound on Old Sauk Rd. EMS transported the victim (16-year-old WF) to the hospital as a precaution. The suspect/driver (36-year-old MEF) was cited for failure to yield at a stop sign. Investigation continuing.
6) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 4:25 pm. Officers responded to Clove Dr to arrest a suspect (35-year-old WM) with multiple warrants for his arrest. The suspect was taken into custody without incident.
7) NORTH: MV vs. Bicyclist Crash – 10:52 pm. A driver (58-year-old AAM) turning left from E Washington Ave onto Portage Rd struck a bicyclist/suspect (53-year-old WM) riding his bike against the "don't walk" signal in the crosswalk across Portage Rd. The suspect suffered minor injuries and was transported to a local hospital where he received stitches to his shin. The suspect was cited for the traffic violation. Investigation continuing.
8) WEST: Residential Burglary – 12:06 am. The victim (47-year-old WF) heard movement in her residence in the 5900 block of Riva Rd and encountered the suspect (38-year-old AAF) in her dining room. The suspect demanded to use the phone and the victim told her to leave. After the suspect left, the victim discovered her wallet was gone. Officers located and detained the suspect, who was charged with burglary and resisting arrest. Victim's wallet was recovered nearby. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 12:27 am. A victim (37-year-old HF) reported her husband/suspect (42-year-old HM) was intoxicated and acting aggressively and had armed himself with a knife. Officers responded to the residence on McLean Dr and arrested the suspect for domestic DC while armed. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Fight in Progress – 1:04 am. An officer driving by Danny's Pub at 322 W Gorham St saw the suspect (24-year-old WM) striking the victim (24-year-old WM). The officer made contact with the intoxicated suspect and attempted to detain him but the suspect fled. Officers eventually detained the suspect and conveyed him to the Dane County Jail where he was booked on charges of disorderly conduct, battery and resisting arrest. Investigation continuing.
11) EAST: Disturbance/Weapons Offense – 2:01 am. Officers responded to the area of 3737 E Washington Ave, Connections bar, for a report of a disturbance involving a suspect (28-year-old AAM) armed with a gun. The suspect was detained and conveyed to the DCJ on initial charges of felony bail jumping and carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. Investigation continuing.