The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 01/15/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 01/16/2019, MPD received 447 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 447 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (65), East (87), Midtown (73), North (68), South (52), West (69), and Other (33). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) MIDTOWN: Adult Arrested Person – 8:00 a.m. Officers were requested to locate/arrest a wanted suspect (51-year-old WF) for violating bail conditions. The suspect's address on N. Brooks Street was initially checked with no success. Officers subsequently made contact with the suspect and she was taken into custody without incident. The suspect was conveyed to jail.
2) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance – 9:00 a.m. Officers responded to the 2900 block of Todd Drive for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (39-year-old AAF victim and 23-year-old AAF suspect). The victim and suspect are mother/daughter. The victim and suspect were engaged in a verbal argument, which then escalated. The suspect initially called 911 but was determined to be the primary aggressor once an investigation was completed. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct.
3) CITY-WIDE: Assist Law Enforcement/Stolen Auto – 10:00 a.m. Officers responded to assist Monona PD with a hit-and-run crash on the Beltline where four subjects/suspects fled on foot. The suspects were subsequently apprehended (all juveniles - ages 14, 15 and 16) with MPD assistance, as well as several other agencies. Monona PD has the lead on this investigation.
4) CENTRAL: Information/Residential Burglary – 1:00 p.m. Officers responded to a residence on E. Gorham St after a victim (26-year-old WM) came home and found his back door kicked in. The victim reported a significant amount of cash and some music equipment were stolen from his home. Investigation continuing.
5) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 4:55 p.m. Officers responded to Balsam Rd for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (66-year-old MRM victim and 33-year-old MRM suspect). The victim is the suspect's father. The victim and suspect were engaged in a verbal argument when the suspect punched the wall causing damage and struck his father two times. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property (domestic-related charges).
6) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 5:11 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (33-year-old AAF victim and 36-year-old AAM suspect). The suspect spit in the victim's face during an argument. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct and an outstanding warrant.
7) SOUTH: Armed Robbery – 6:58 p.m. Officers responded to the 1100 block of Moorland Rd for an armed robbery. The victims (27-year-old AAM and 25-year-old AAM) arranged a business deal (selling of cell phones) over social media, however the proposed transaction did not go as planned as they were robbed (one victim was pistol whipped). The incident took place inside an apartment building in the 1100 block of Moorland Rd. There were four suspects (AAMs/AAFs) involved. The suspects took the victim's money and shoes. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
8) CENTRAL: Death Investigation – 8:28 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a deceased subject (84-year-old WM). The decedent was terminally ill. Nothing suspicious observed on scene.
9) NORTH: Attempt to Locate – 8:30 p.m. Officers attempted to locate a wanted suspect (68-year-old WM) at the request of the Sauk County Sheriff's Department. The suspect was not located. Investigation continuing.
10) NORTH: Disturbance – 9:54 p.m. Officers responded to the 1700 block of Northport Drive for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (47-year-old WF and 26-year-old UF). Both subjects were engaged in a verbal argument. Officers arrived and there were conflicting statements provided. Both subjects were subsequently cited for disorderly conduct. Child Protective Services notified due to children being present in the home.
11) WEST: Drug Incident/Overdose – 10:22 p.m. Officers, along with MFD, responded to Junction Rd for a subject/suspect (57-year-old WM) experiencing an overdose. The suspect was conveyed to a local hospital. After a medical clearance was obtained, the suspect was cited for possession of heroin and arrested on a probation/parole hold.
12) WEST: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 11:09 p.m. Officers responded to a west side residence for a report of a missing/runaway juvenile (16-year-old UM). The juvenile has a history of running away. The juvenile was located safe and returned home.