The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 01/24/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 01/25/2019, MPD received 469 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 469 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (82), East (87), Midtown (92), North (73), South (33), West (60), and Other (42). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 10:55am-11:40am due to calls for service.
1) CENTRAL: Check Person – 9:45 a.m. Officers responded to a residence to check the welfare of a suicidal subject (20-year-old WM). The subject made suicidal statements and punched a window which caused a self-inflicted injury. The subject was not cooperative with officers. The subject was taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. An emergency detention is being sought. Investigation continuing.
2) SOUTH: Check Person – 10:11 a.m. Officers responded to Detox for a subject (44-year-old WM) who was going to be released but there were concerns for his mental welfare. Journey Mental Health plugged in. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital for a medical clearance and mental health evaluation. An emergency detention is being sought. Investigation continuing.
3) CENTRAL: Crash with Injuries – 10:22 a.m. Officers responded to Blair/E. Washington where a vehicle/driver (51-year-old WM) struck another vehicle which resulted in a three-vehicle crash. The driver was transported to a local hospital for injuries. It is believed that the driver suffered a medical event. Investigation continuing.
4) WEST: Death Investigation – 2:31 p.m. Officers responded to a west side residence to check the welfare of a subject (52-year-old WM) after he did not show up to work for several days. Entry was made to the residence and the subject was located deceased. Nothing suspicious identified at this time. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
5) WEST: Recovered Stolen Auto – 3:58 p.m. Officers observed an occupied stolen vehicle on Theresa Terrace. The three subjects/suspects (all AAMs, age 15) took off running when officers activated their lights. The three suspects were apprehended after a brief foot pursuit and conveyed to the Juvenile Reception Center on charges of operating a motor vehicle without consent (OMVWOC). Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Armed Robbery – 6:59 p.m. Officers responded to a convenience store on Milwaukee St for a report of a robbery. A suspect (AAM) entered the store, displayed a handgun to the clerk and demanded money. The suspect fled on foot with an unknown amount of cash. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Information/Suspicious Vehicle – 7:35 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a suspicious vehicle with a WM driver in an east side neighborhood. Investigation continuing.
8) CENTRAL: Intoxicated Driver/Adult Arrested Person – 7:49 p.m. An officer conducted a traffic stop on E. Washington Ave/Blair St. The driver/suspect (61-year-old WM) was determined to be under the influence. The suspect was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (1st offense), hit-and-run, unsafe lane deviation and going the wrong way on a divided highway.
9) NORTH: Disturbance – 12:04 a.m. Officers responded to Columbus Lane for a disturbance between two subjects (17-year-old AAF victim and 19-year-old AAM suspect). Both subjects reported that the other subject was at fault. Both subjects sustained visible injuries. The AAM was determined to be the primary aggressor. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct.
10) MIDTOWN: Crash with Property Damage/Assist MFD – 1:28 a.m. Officers, along with MFD, responded to 2436 Regent Street for a report of a vehicle that crashed into a building (DiRienzo Monument). Upon arrival, officers observed the vehicle completely inside the structure with no driver on scene. The building was unoccupied. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.