The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 02/03/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 02/04/2019, MPD received 308 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 308 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (70), East (52), Midtown (42), North (48), South (28), West (51), and Other (17). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 11am to 4pm due to calls for service.
1) WEST: Check Person – 10:02 a.m. Officers responded to the 300 block of Junction Rd to check the welfare of a subject (51-year-old AAM) who reportedly fell off his bike. Contact was made with the subject. The subject asked to be conveyed to a local hospital. MFD conveyed the subject as requested. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
2) EAST: Crash/Property Damage – 10:03 a.m. Officers responded to the 700 block of Cottage Grove Rd for a vehicle vs. parked vehicle crash. No injuries reported. Investigation continuing.
3) MIDTOWN: Weapons Offense – 10:43 a.m. Officers responded to the 600 block of Sawyer Terrace for a weapons offense. A victim (56-year-old WM) was located with a non-life threatening gunshot wound. The victim was conveyed to a local hospital. Two suspects (37-year-old WM and 35-year-old WF) were identified. Detectives believe this was a targeted act of violence between the subjects who are acquaintances. The male suspect was subsequently arrested/charged with reckless injury, possession of firearm by a felon and felony bail jumping. The female suspect was arrested/charged with reckless injury (domestic party-to-a-crime) and possession of drug paraphernalia. Additional charges may be forthcoming. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
4) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 12:46 p.m. Officers responded to S. Gammon Rd for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (29-year-old AAF victim and 27-year-old AAM suspect). The victim reported that she was locked in her bathroom with her child because her boyfriend/suspect was attempting to enter the bathroom to take their child. The victim stated that the suspect had a knife. Entry was made to the residence and the suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct.
5) WEST: Check Person – 2:37 p.m. Officers responded to a group home for adults regarding a subject (23-year-old WF) who called dispatch saying she was going to stab someone with a knife. Contact was made with the subject and plans were made to convey her to another location with a safety plan in place. No injuries reported. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
6) WEST: Information/Sexual Assault – 7:02 p.m. Officers met with a victim (29-year-old WF) who reported being sexually assaulted by a suspect (31-year-old AAM) she met through an on-line dating app. Investigation continuing.
7) CENTRAL: Check Person – 7:59 p.m. Officers were requested to attempt to locate/check the welfare of a potential suicidal subject (54-year-old AAM). Phone ping unsuccessful. Areas checked. Attempt to locate aired. Subject at-large. Investigation continuing.
8) CENTRAL: Aggravated/Substantial Battery – 8:52 p.m. Officers responded to the 300 block of State Street for a disturbance between two subjects (27-year-old HM victim and 19-year-old WF suspect). The suspect struck the victim in the face with a door which required multiple stitches. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct and substantial battery.
9) CENTRAL: Intoxicated Person – 10:43 p.m. The suspect (19-year-old HM) was at detox due to his intoxication levels. While at detox, the suspect punched a nurse/victim (56-year-old AAF) and struggled with officers. The suspect was medically cleared and conveyed to jail for disorderly conduct, obstruction, battery to a healthcare worker and underage drinking.
10) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 11:07 p.m. Officers responded to a residence in the Midtown district for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (51-year-old WF suspect and 49-year-old WM victim). The victim and suspect were engaged in a verbal argument, which then escalated. The suspect, who was intoxicated, hit the suspect in the face causing visible injuries. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct and domestic battery.