The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 02/21/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 02/22/2019, MPD received 446 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 446 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (89), East (73), Midtown (71), North (74), South (46), West (54), and Other (39). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person/OMVWI – 5:00 a.m. Officers conducted a traffic stop in the 3800 block of E. Washington Ave and discovered that the driver/suspect (31-year-old AAM) was under the influence. The suspect was not cooperative. The suspect was taken into custody and conveyed to a local hospital for a blood draw (warrant acquired). The suspect was subsequently transported to jail for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (2nd offense) and outstanding warrants (for threats toward law enforcement and disorderly conduct). *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) NORTH: Assist EMS/MFD – 8:52 a.m. Officers responded, along with EMS/MFD, to a business on W. Terrace Drive for a subject (28-year-old WM) who collapsed. MFD/EMS administered Naloxone which revived the subject. No evidence of drug use observed. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital. Investigation continuing.
3) MIDTOWN: Adult Arrested Person – 9:19 a.m. Officers responded to a midtown district residence in an attempt to locate a wanted subject/suspect (24-year-old AAM). The suspect came outside as officers were on scene, but he retreated back into his residence upon seeing the officers. MPD SWAT responded. The suspect ultimately surrendered peacefully and was taken into custody without incident. Charges pending. Investigation continuing.
4) WEST: Death Investigation – 9:37 a.m. Officers responded to a west side residence to check the welfare of a subject. Driveway was not cleared and mail was piling up, so therefore a decision was made to make entry. The resident (76-year-old WM) was located deceased. Medical Examiner's office notified. MFD responded due to the stove being left on. Investigation continuing.
5) SOUTH: Missing Adult – 4:42 p.m. Officers responded to a south side residence for a report of a missing adult (67-year-old AAM) who suffers from dementia. Areas checked. The subject was located safe and returned home. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
6) MIDTOWN: Adult Arrested Person – 4:48 p.m. Officers received a request from the U.S. Marshall's office to attempt to locate a wanted suspect (33-year-old WM). Officers located the suspect in the 2000 block of Fish Hatchery Road and took him into custody without incident. The suspect was conveyed to jail. Investigation continuing.
7) NORTH: Threats Complaint – 5:26 p.m. Officers received a request to check the welfare of their employee/suspect (21-year-old WM) after he made some vague threatening statements (some toward his mother). The suspect was contacted at his residence and he apologized for what he said. After consultation with the employer and the suspect's mother, the suspect was issued a citation for disorderly conduct.
8) NORTH: Assist EMS/Fire – 9:55 p.m. Officers responded, along with EMS/Fire, to a north side residence to check the welfare of a subject (61-year-old AAM). There were concerns expressed about the subject possibly having an overdose. The subject is on probation and refused to cooperate. The subject was arrested on a probation/parole hold.
9) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 12:58 a.m. Officers responded to a midtown district residence for a possible disturbance. Officers arrived at the residence and could hear crying but no one would answer the door. A decision was made to force entry into the residence to check the welfare of any subjects. Two subjects (27-year- old HM and 26-year-old AAF) were contacted. Both subjects were not cooperative with officers and denied anything was occurring. No charges were able to be substantiated. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Information/Sex Offense – 1:17 a.m. Officers were dispatched to Langdon Street where they met several subjects about an incident that occurred. Several subjects/friends were out drinking. The subjects then went to one of their homes and there was some reported inappropriate contact between two of the subjects (20-year-old HF and 20-year-old HM). Investigation continuing.