Today's safety/helpful tips discuss personal safety tips for seniors (although these really are for everyone). See attached for suggestions on how to keep yourself safe and reduce your chances of becoming a victim of a crime. (Safe Senior Tips)
The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 02/25/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 02/26/2019, MPD received 442 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 442 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (79), East (71), Midtown (81), North (60), South (54), West (65), and Other (32). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority only calls from 9:26pm-11:26pm due to calls for service.
1) SOUTH: Check Person – 9:20 a.m. Officers responded to the 2900 block of Industrial Drive to check the welfare of a suicidal subject (27-year-old WM). The subject was cooperative and was voluntarily conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. The subject was left in the care of medical staff. No further action deemed necessary by the police at this time.
2) EAST: Stolen Auto – 11:30 a.m. Officers responded to the U-Haul store on Atlas Court for a report of a stolen cargo van. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
3) CENTRAL: Trespass – 12:06 p.m. Officers responded to the 100 block of W. Washington Ave for a subject/suspect (19-year-old AAM) refusing to leave or purchase any items from the business (coffee shop). The suspect was asked to leave numerous times by staff and officers, but refused. The suspect resisted officers when he was told he was going to be arrested. The suspect was charged with trespassing.
4) CENTRAL: Domestic Disturbance – 1:50 p.m. Officers responded to Henry/Mifflin St area for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (32-year-old WF victim and 34-year-old WM suspect). The victim and suspect are married, going through a separation and have a child together. The suspect showed up at the victim's workplace and caused a disturbance. The suspect attempted to take their child and when the victim intervened, the verbal argument turned physical. The suspect was arrested for battery (domestic), disorderly conduct (domestic) and disorderly conduct.
5) EAST: Crash with Injuries – 7:23 p.m. Officers responded to Stoughton/Buckeye Rd for a two-vehicle crash. Two children were transported to local hospitals with minor injuries. Investigation continuing.
6) WEST: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 7:59 p.m. Officers responded to Jacobs Way for a report of a missing/runaway juvenile (11-year-old AAF). The juvenile has a history of running away. Areas checked. Attempt to locate aired. The juvenile was entered as missing/runaway in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Weapons Offense – 9:11 p.m. Officers responded to the 400 block of Parkwood Lane regarding a domestic incident involving a weapon. A male/suspect (26-year-old WM) was inside the residence and was armed with a handgun. After pointing the handgun at his own head, the suspect pointed the gun at a female/victim(28-year-old WF) in the residence. Officers learned that there were young children in the residence as well. Officers were able to take the suspect into custody without incident. No injuries reported. The suspect was charged with second degree recklessly endangering safety and disorderly conduct (domestic-related charges). Child Protective Services notified. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
8) CENTRAL: Death Investigation – 9:35 p.m. Officers responded to a central district residence to check the welfare of a subject (66-year-old WF). Entry was made to the residence and the subject was located deceased. The decedent had multiple health issues. Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
9) WEST: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 1:26 a.m. Officers responded to a west side residence for a report of a missing/runaway juvenile (13-year-old HM). The juvenile was in contact with his family via text but refused to tell them where he was. The juvenile has a history of running away. Attempt to locate aired. The juvenile was entered as missing/runaway in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
10) NORTH: Assist Law Enforcement/Check Person – 4:33 a.m. Officers received a request from Stoughton PD to check the welfare of a subject (37-year-old WF). Information is being reviewed/vetted and an address for the subject is being verified. Investigation continuing.