The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 02/27/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 02/28/2019, MPD received 435 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 435 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (71), East (90), Midtown (72), North (63), South (36), West (62), and Other (41). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 9:02am-10:59am due to calls for service.
1) EAST: Non-Residential Burglaries – 7:46 a.m. There were five non-residential burglaries (smash-and-grab crimes) that occurred overnight, starting at 3:18am at Simply Communications/Boost Mobile on S. Park Street. Around 3:25am, T-Mobile on E. Washington was "hit" followed by Northside Liquor on N. Sherman Avenue at 3:48am. At 5:16am officers were notified of a burglary at Cricket Wireless on Verona Road. The fifth incident was called in around 7:46am and occurred at Misty Mountain Games on Cottage Grove Road. Times provided are approximate as some of the calls came in from the business alarm companies and others were called in by passerby's with a delay in reporting. Investigations continuing. *A few of these calls were late reported and did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) EAST: Information/Sexual Assault of a Child – 9:19 a.m. Officers were advised that a victim (15-year-old HF) reported repeated unwanted sexual contact by another student/suspect (UM) to her school on Tuesday. MPD was not called about this until Wednesday. Investigation continuing.
3) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 9:59 a.m. Officers responded to the 200 block of Wisconsin Avenue for a suspect (30-year-old WM) causing a disturbance. All attempts to calm down the suspect were unsuccessful. The suspect was subsequently cited for disorderly conduct and arrested/conveyed to jail on a probation hold.
4) MIDTOWN: Adult Arrested Person – 12:05 p.m. Officers responded to the 700 block of S. Park Street for a report of two subjects "shooting up" in the parking lot. Officers made contact with one subject/suspect (19-year-old WF) who lied about her identity and attempted to flee on foot. Officers apprehended the suspect and arrested her for obstructing and a probation/parole hold. Additional charges may be forthcoming. Second subject/suspect not on-scene/identified. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Information/Sexual Assault of a Child – 1:53 p.m. Officers met with a victim (15-year-old UF) who reported unwanted sexual contact by another student/suspect (15-year-old AAM). Investigation continuing.
6) SOUTH: Disturbance – 2:03 p.m. Officers responded to a south side group home where a resident/suspect (66-year-old AM) caused a disturbance. The suspect threatened staff and attempted to cause property damage. The suspect was arrested for criminal damage to property, disorderly conduct and failure to appear for 2 counts of forgery.
7) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person/Theft – 3:48 p.m. Officers responded to Sadhana Wine Shop on S. Bassett Street for a report of a theft. Two suspects were identified on video surveillance (they were no longer on scene). Officers checked the area and located the two suspects (24-year-old AAM and 22-year-old AAM). The 24-year-old suspect was arrested and charged with retail theft, obstructing and bail jumping. The 22-year-old suspect was arrested and charged with retail theft (party to a crime), receiving stolen property and bail jumping.
8) MIDTOWN: Battery – 4:58 p.m. Officers responded to a disturbance between two subjects (57-year-old AAM victim and 59-year-old AAM suspect) at Porchlight on N. Brooks Street. The suspect pushed the victim to the ground and physically assaulted him. The suspect was arrested for battery and disorderly conduct.
9) WEST: Armed Robbery – 9:15 p.m. Officers responded to Subway at 7011 Watts Road for a report of an armed robbery. Two AAM suspects entered the store with a handgun and demanded money. The suspects fled with cash. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Check Person – 11:04 p.m. Officers received a request to check the welfare of a possible suicidal subject (21-year-old WM). Multiple locations checked. Phone ping conducted but was unsuccessful. Information was obtained that the subject was at a hotel on John Nolen Drive. Officers located the subject and were able to take temporary possession of a handgun. The subject was cooperative and was voluntarily conveyed/admitted to a local hospital for an evaluation. No further action deemed necessary by the police at this time.
11) EAST: Adult Arrested Person/Drug Incident – 12:56 a.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a report of a subject (39-year-old WM) experiencing a drug overdose. MPD administered Naloxone which revived the subject. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital. The subject was charged/cited with possession of drug paraphernalia.