The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 11/30/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 12/01/2018, MPD received 482 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 482 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (112), East (95), Midtown (70), North (66), South (46), West (61), and Other (32). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
**Priority calls only from 10:10pm to 11:30pm and from 2:20am to 4:45am due to calls for service.
1) CENTRAL: Injured Person – 6:01 am. Dispatch received a report of a body floating at the edge of the lake near N Lake St and Mendota Ct. The subject (21-year-old WM) was transported to the hospital where he remains in critical condition. Video showed the individual walking alone down Lake St and walking into the lake. There are no signs of foul play. Incident report completed on MPD website.
2) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 10:24 am. The suspect (21-year-old AAM) and victim (20-year-old AAM) are brothers. An argument ensued between them at their east side residence during which the suspect grabbed a knife and cut the victim in the arm, causing a small laceration. The suspect fled the scene before officers' arrival but was subsequently apprehended on N Thompson Dr. The suspect was charged with domestic disorderly conduct and 1st degree reckless endangerment. Investigation continuing.
3) SOUTH: Death Investigation – 12:25 pm. The mother of the deceased subject (49-year-old WM) found him down at a south side residence. The decedent was recovering from major surgery. Death appears to be medical related.
4) EAST: Weapons Offense – 1:07 pm. Officers responded to Myrtle St for a report of two roommates who were arguing. The suspect (30-year-old AAM) slashed the victim (43-year-old AAM) in the face with a kitchen knife, causing a superficial laceration below the ear. The suspect was arrested for 2nd degree reckless endangering safety. Investigation continuing.
5) SOUTH: Juvenile Disturbance – 1:18 pm. Officers responded to an elementary school on the south side to investigate an incident in which a student refused to go inside at the end of recess. Investigation continuing.
6) CENTRAL: Fight Call/Juvenile Arrest – 3:38pm. Employees at Ian's Pizza on State St reported a large group of juveniles fighting outside the business. One suspect (16-year-old AAM) was cited for disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
7) MIDTOWN: OMVWI – 6:14 pm. Officers responded to a motor vehicle crash at Mineral Point and N Whitney Way. The suspect (42-year-old WM) was charged with 1st offense OWI, possession of fentanyl and possession of drug paraphernalia. Investigation continuing.
8) SOUTH: Strong Arm Robbery – 7:47 pm. The suspect (AAM in his twenties) stole cash from the victim (20-year-old AAF) in the 2900 block of Traceway Dr as she was paying him for giving her a ride which was set up by a mutual acquaintance (17-year-old AAM). No weapons were involved and no injuries reported. Investigation continuing.
9) NORTH: Assist EMS/Fire – 9:30 pm. Officers responded to the Rodeway Inn at 4845 Hayes Rd for a pulseless non-breather (47-year-old WM) who was pronounced deceased upon arrival at the hospital. Alcohol and other drugs were found in the motel room. The decedent's roommate appeared heavily intoxicated and was unable to provide much information. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Assist EMS/Fire – 10:02 pm. Officers responded with MFD to Brandie Rd for a report of a vehicle on fire and an injured subject (33-year-old UM). Apparently the truck had been parked in the area for a while after being repaired earlier in the week. The subject approached the vehicle with a lit cigarette in his mouth and when he opened the door, there was a small explosion. The subject was transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening burns. MFD has the lead on this investigation. Investigation continuing.
11) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance/Weapons Offense – 1:12 am. Officers responded to a south side residence where the suspect (31-year-old AM) was reportedly trying to hit family members and was throwing things. Upon officers' arrival, the suspect was holding a knife to his chest. Officers took the suspect into custody without incident and charged him with domestic disorderly conduct, damage to property, and intimidation of a victim. Investigation continuing.