The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 03/20/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 03/21/2019, MPD received 422 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 422 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (72), East (110), Midtown (59), North (65), South (43), West (37), and Other (36). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) SOUTH: Disturbance/Unwanted Person – 8:30 am. Officers responded to the 1800 block of S Park St for a report of an unwanted person (32-year-old AAM). The subject was informed he was no longer welcome at the address and the subject then left the area without incident.
2) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 8:56 am. Dispatch received a 911 call with an open line and sounds of a verbal argument. The caller would not provide any information but the call plotted somewhere in the area of the 3800 block of E Washington Ave. Officers checked the area and were unable to locate the involved parties.
3) EAST: Disturbance - 10:39 am. Officers responded to a group home for a resident (34-year-old WF) who had armed herself with a razor and was threatening to harm herself and staff. Officers placed the subject in protective custody. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Death Investigation – 12:08 pm. The son of a subject (92-year-old WM) went to his father's residence to check his welfare as his father had missed a doctor appointment. The son found his father, who had significant health concerns, deceased. The subject is believed to have died of natural causes.
5) CENTRAL: Sexual Assault – 2:00 pm. A victim (18-year-old WF) reported that a known suspect (23-year-old WM) sexually assaulted her at a downtown residence. The victim reported being battered by the suspect and had visible bruises. The suspect is at large. Investigation continuing.
6) SOUTH: Stolen/Recovered Auto – 6:25 pm. An MPD sergeant who was stopped at a light on S Park St at the beltline was alerted of a stolen vehicle several cars ahead of him. A Town of Madison officer assisted by blocking in the stolen vehicle. Four suspects (15-year-old AAF, 14-year-old WF, 16-year-old AAM, and 14-year-old WM) were taken into custody and taken to JRC. Investigation continuing.
7) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 8:36 pm. Officers responded to a residence on Independence Ln for an argument between a suspect (56-year-old WM) and victim (56-year-old WF) during which the suspect was throwing items at the victim. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
8) CENTRAL: Check Person/Adult Arrested Person – 10:14 pm. An anonymous caller reported the suspect (27-year-old WM) was in the 900 block of Williamson St and had warrants for his arrest. Officers contacted the suspect who provided a false name. The suspect was arrested for obstructing an officer and a probation violation as well as warrants from an outside agency. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Death Investigation – 10:19 pm. Family members became concerned when they did not hear from the subject (75-year-old WF) for several days. The subject, who had multiple health issues, was found deceased in her residence. Nothing deemed to be suspicious. Medical examiner on scene.
10) SOUTH: Check Area – 11:30 pm. A caller reported hearing shots fired in the area of Schroeder Rd and Struck St. Officers checked the area and did not locate any evidence of shots being fired. Investigation continuing.
11) EAST: Armed Robbery – 11:37 pm. Officers responded to a local hospital for a victim (19-year-old HM) who reported he was pushed from a moving vehicle after one of the passengers pointed a gun at him and demanded money. The victim had arranged a meeting with one of the suspects via Snapchat and was picked up by three male suspects and driven to the 200 block of Walbridge Ave before being pushed from the vehicle. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Domestic Disturbance – 1:48 am. The suspect (50-year-old AAM) and victim (54-year-old AAM) are roommates. The suspect asked the victim to leave the residence but the victim refused and, feeling threatened, called police. The suspect left before officers arrived and is at large. Probable cause was developed to charge the suspect with domestic disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.