The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 3/26/2019 through 6:00 a. m. on 3/27/2019, MPD received 430 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 430 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (68), East (83), Midtown (69), North (63), South (40), West (64), and Other (43). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 12:41 a.m. Officers responded after a woman called to report her husband (74-year-old WM) who has Alzheimer's had walked away from his residence. Officers located the subject uninjured about a quarter mile away after approximately a half hour after this being reported. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) WEST: Stalking Complaint – 8:41 a.m. Officers responded after a complainant (21-year-old WF) called to report she was receiving harassing text messages from her ex-boyfriend/suspect (26-year-old AAM). The suspect has been showing up at the victim's place of employment for the past few days. Officers made contact with the suspect who took off running and was arrested after a foot pursuit. The suspect was charged with Resisting and given a stalking letter. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Disturbance – 10:42 a.m. Officers responded after a maintenance worker made contact at an apartment after hearing screaming and saw what appeared to be blood on one of the occupant's hands and neck. Upon arrival, the suspect (52-year-old WF) was very belligerent to the officers. The suspect was eventually taken into custody after a brief struggle which resulted in an officer being kicked in the knee. Neither the suspect nor the other occupant of the apartment would say anything about what might have been going on between them. Neither party was injured. The suspect was arrested for Disorderly Conduct, Resisting, and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. The other party was banned from the property. Investigation continuing.
4) WEST: Theft/Arrested Person – 11:39 a.m. At 11:39 a.m., MPD officers responded to the 1200 block of McKenna Blvd to take a report from a victim (22-year-old WF) who was being scammed on the pretext of negotiating an apartment lease. Probable cause was developed on a suspect (45-year-old WF) who was subsequently arrested and charged with theft. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Assist Police – 1:51 p.m. Sun Prairie PD requested assistance from MPD to check the welfare of an individual (38-year-old WF) whose therapist was concerned after it was reported she had recently purchased a gun. A phone ping was completed and the subject was located on the east side. Sun Prairie Police responded and took the subject into protective custody. Investigation continuing.
6) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 2:11 p.m. Officers were dispatched to a residence on the west side for reports of a 27-year-old WM out of control and throwing things at his father/victim (60-year-old WM). Officers responded and the suspect was arrested and conveyed to jail for Domestic Disorderly Conduct. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 3:19 p.m. Officers responded after a 29-year-old WM suspect started behaving violently after his Grandma/victim refused to provide him a ride to his vehicle. The victim (77-year-old WF) was fearful for her safety. The suspect was placed under arrest and initially taken to a hospital for an evaluation/clearance. A determination was made to complete the booking process and the suspect was conveyed to the Public Safety Building on a charge of Domestic Disorderly Conduct. Investigation continuing.
8) CENTRAL: Sexual Assault – 7:11 p.m. Officers responded after a 26-year-old WF reported the suspect, a NA male, groped her breast over her shirt. Officers are in the process of identifying the suspect via city camera footage. Probable cause exists for a charge of 4th degree sexual assault. Investigation continuing.
9) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 9:31 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 1800 block of E Washington Ave for reports of a man peeping in an apartment window. A male matching the suspect description was placed into protective custody. The suspect (52-year-old WM) then spit on one of the officers and was subsequently arrested for discharging bodily fluids at a Law Enforcement Officer and a Probation hold. Investigation continuing.
10) SOUTH: Drug Incident/Investigation – 1:05 a.m. An officer observed an idling vehicle with a driver who appeared to be sleeping. When the driver/suspect (24-year-old AAM) was asked to step out of the vehicle, he dropped some cocaine on the ground. The suspect was arrested for Possession of Cocaine and a Probation hold. Investigation continuing.
11) WEST: Weapons Offense – 1:54 a.m. Officers responded to a residence on the west side reference a fight between two brothers (15-year-old AAM and 17-year-old AAM). Once the scene was stabilized, a safety plan was put in place and any further decision to bring charges was deferred at this time. Investigation continuing.