The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 3/27/2019 through 6:00 a. m. on 3/28/2019, MPD received 400 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 400 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (71), East (67), Midtown (58), North (64), South (56), West (57), and Other (27). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) EAST: Retail Theft – 9:04 a.m. Officers were dispatched to a report of a retail theft in progress. Three of the four suspects (21-year-old AAF, 30-year-old WM, and a 27-year-old AAM) entered the store and began stealing DVDs. The fourth suspect (37-year-old AAM) remained in the vehicle. Upon arrival of officers, all four suspects were taken into custody and charged with Party to a Crime - Retail Theft. The 21-year-old AAF was also charged with Resisting and had a Forgery warrant, the 30-year-old WM had a PO hold, and the 27-year-old AAM was also charged with Resisting and Bail Jumping. All four suspects were taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
2) SOUTH: Weapons Offense – 10:47 a.m. Officers were originally sent to a parking lot on Waunona Woods Court this morning for a report of gunshots. When they arrived they discovered projectiles had been fired, but they weren't bullets. They were blue-colored paintballs. Several vehicles parked in the lot were struck. Witnesses reported seeing a passenger in a car doing the shooting. (This is the press release completed on MPD's website.)
3) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person - 2:29 p.m. A 24-year-old AAM/suspect was asked to leave a restaurant on Gilman St due to his behavior. The suspect did initially leave but returned. After being asked to leave a second time, the suspect spit at the bartender. The suspect was arrested for Disorderly Conduct and taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Retail Theft – 3:21 p.m. Officers were dispatched for a report of a retail theft in progress at a business on the east side. The suspect (39-year-old WM) exited the business when he was contacted by officers and found to have merchandise from the store in his possession. The suspect was arrested for two counts of Retail Theft and Felony Bail Jumping. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 4:45 p.m. Officers responded to a residence on the east side after a parent called to report her landlord (34-year-old WM) had hit her son (13-year-old AAM) The landlord/suspect was arrested for Disorderly Conduct and taken to jail. CPS was notified. Investigation continuing.
6) CENTRAL: Substantial Battery – 5:00 p.m. A 45-year-old Madison woman was dragged out of her own van and repeatedly battered by three acquaintances (one man and two women) Wednesday afternoon. The daylight attack happened in a very public place, the intersection of E. Johnson St. and N. Dickinson St. The victim had agreed to transport the suspects when a disagreement, while in transit, turned violent. After being pulled from the van, the woman was punched and thrown to the ground. Several chunks of her hair were pulled out. When she got back on her feet, the suspects swung her around and her head smashed into the van's windshield causing it to crack. The suspects fled on foot as several concerned passersby called 911. They remain at large. The victim was taken by ambulance to a hospital for treatment of head injuries. (This is the press release completed on MPD's website.)
7) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 5:13 p.m. Officers were dispatched to University Bay Dr. reference a man standing in the street. Officers contacted the 26-year-old WM and discovered he seemed to be suffering a mental health crisis. The officers transported the subject to a local hospital for evaluation. Investigation continuing.
8) SOUTH: Juvenile Arrest – 6:14 p.m. A wanted subject (16-year-old AAM) was arrested and taken to JRC. Investigation continuing.
9) NORTH: Check Property – 8:40 p.m. Officers responded to a north side neighborhood after residents reported hearing what were thought to be gunshots. Nothing else was seen or heard. After a check of the area, nothing was located and it was determined the noise was most likely fireworks.
10) EAST: Death Investigation – 2:29 a.m. Officers were dispatched to a residence on the east side for a report of a deceased individual (91-year-old WM). Nothing suspicious on scene.