The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 04/26/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 04/27/2019, MPD received 593 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 593 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (119), East (104), Midtown (105), North (74), South (72), West (70), and Other (49). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
**Priority calls only from 1:30am to 3:40am due to calls for service.
1) WEST: Trespass – 7:00 am. Officers responded to the 7900 block of Tree Ln where security reported a suspect (19-year-old AAF) who was banned from the property was trespassing. The suspect was cited for trespassing after notification and was released. The suspect later returned to the property and was subsequently arrested and conveyed to jail. Investigation continuing.
2) NORTH: Information – 8:53 am. A subject was in the parking lot of his apartment building on Calypso Rd when an unknown subject (WF) approached him and asked to use his phone. The female dialed 911 to report she had been the victim of a crime and then hung up and returned the phone to the male subject. 911 dispatchers dialed the number back and attempted to gather further information but the male subject could only say the female subject appeared to be ok and was walking away on foot. Officers checked the area but did not locate the female caller. Investigation continuing.
3) MIDTOWN: Adult Arrested Person – 10:04 am. Officers arrested a suspect (32-year-old AAM) in the 300 block of S Park St who was wanted for multiple thefts and burglaries. The suspect was taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
4) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance – 1:18 pm. The suspect (39-year-old AAM) punched the victim (25-year-old AAF) outside the PLS Loan Store at 1907 S Park St. A witness intervened and the suspect fled in a vehicle before officers arrived. Probable cause was developed to arrest the suspect for domestic battery. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Disturbance – 1:42 pm. A subject (26-year-old AAM) who lives in a group home for adults with significant mental health needs created a disturbance at his residence. Staff contacted police for assistance and the subject was transported to a safe location.
6) SOUTH: Disturbance – 2:41 pm. The suspect (41-year-old WF) was yelling, striking people with a foam baton and making threatening statements in the 700 block of Spruce St. Officers took the suspect into custody and transported her to the hospital for a mental health evaluation. At the hospital the suspect continued to be combative and was subsequently charged with battery to a police officer, threatening a police officer and battery to a health care worker. Investigation continuing.
7) WEST: Drug Overdose – 5:30 pm. Numerous callers to 911 reported a suspect (30-year-old WM) at the intersection of Junction Rd and Old Sauk Rd slumped at the wheel of his vehicle. Officers arrested the suspect for OWI 4th offense, impeding traffic and possession of drug paraphernalia. Investigation continuing.
8) SOUTH: Traffic Crash – 5:30 pm. Officers responded to the beltline between John Nolen Dr and South Towne Dr where a suspect vehicle was reported to have been traveling over 100 mph on the left shoulder in stop-and-go rush hour traffic. The suspect vehicle crashed into another occupied vehicle and the suspect (26-year-old WF) attempted to flee on foot. Dane County Sheriff deputies apprehended the suspect who was uncooperative and combative with paramedics and officers. The suspect was charged with OWI 1st offense, resisting arrest, battery to an officer, and was cited for various traffic offenses. The occupants of the victim vehicle were treated for minor injuries. Investigation continuing.
9) NORTH: Death Investigation – 7:20 pm. The decedent (84-year-old WM) was found down in his residence. The medical examiner believed that the subject choked on some food. Nothing suspicious found on scene.
10) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 9:54 pm. Officers responded to a residence where the suspect (22-year-old WM) was yelling at his parents and making threatening statements. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property. Investigation continuing.