By the time you have a chance to read this blog, the Northside rocket club will have already launched their own mini-version of memorializing the Apollo 11 anniversary. See the following link for more information: https://www.cityofmadison.com/news/mpd-and-northside-kids-set-to-launch
The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 07/15/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 07/16/2019, MPD received 527 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 527 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (86), East (106), Midtown (78), North (72), South (54), West (64), and Other (67). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) WEST: Residential Burglary – 6:21 a.m. Officers responded to Southern Oak Place for a residential burglary/stolen vehicles. The homeowner/victim (65-year-old WM) reported waking up to find his entry door to the garage open and two vehicles missing from the garage. One of the vehicles was tracked and located unoccupied on Melody Lane. The second vehicle's location is unknown. The key fobs for the vehicles were inside the home and were taken by the suspect(s). Investigation continuing.
2) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 9:15 a.m. Officers responded to the 2000 block of E. Washington Ave for a wanted subject/suspect (53-year-old AAM). The suspect was cooperative and taken into custody without incident. The suspect was conveyed to jail.
3) WEST: Death Investigation – 9:33 a.m. Officers responded to a west side assisted living facility for a deceased subject (89-year-old WF). Nothing suspicious observed on scene. The decedent had a "do-not-resuscitate" order in place. Medical Examiner's office notified. Investigation continuing.
4) MIDTOWN: Child Abuse – 11:39 a.m. Officers met with a juvenile/victim (15-year-old WF) who reported being physically abused by her parents/suspects (48-year-old AAM and 41-year-old AF). The victim had visible injuries. The suspects admitted to the abuse. Child Protective Services notified. The suspects were arrested and conveyed to jail on charges of physical abuse to a child. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Disturbance – 6:43 p.m. Officers responded to Rethke Ave for a disturbance between two subjects (47-year-old WF victim and 57-year-old WM suspect). Both the victim and the suspect were intoxicated when they were involved in an argument, which then turned physical. The suspect pushed the victim against a wall. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with disorderly conduct.
6) EAST: Hit-and-Run – 8:04 p.m. Officers observed a hit-and-run at Great Gray/Snowy Owl intersection. The driver/suspect (16-year-old AAF) was contacted and cited for hit-and-run, reckless driving, no valid driver's license and no insurance.
7) WEST: Check Person – 10:30 p.m. Officers responded to Raymond Rd to check the welfare of a possible suicidal subject (32-year-old WF). The subject would not cooperate with officers. The subject was taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. Journey Mental Health consulted. An emergency detention is being sought. Investigation continuing
8) SOUTH: Weapons Offense – 11:43 p.m. Officers responded to Post Rd after the caller/victim (44-year-old WM) reported that his residence was struck by three bullets. No injuries reported. Two of the bullets struck the siding of the home and a third bullet went through a double-pane glass door. Incident report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Missing Adult – 1:20 a.m. Officers received a report of a missing and possible suicidal subject (41-year-old WM). The subject's phone was turned off so therefore a phone ping was not able to be conducted. Areas checked. Attempt to locate aired. The subject was listed as missing/endangered in the appropriate databases. The subject was located and was returned home. Investigation continuing.