The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 07/29/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 07/30/2019, MPD received 548 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 548 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (108), East (104), Midtown (84), North (82), South (61), West (68), and Other (41). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
**Priority calls only from 2:35pm to 4:10pm and 8:00pm to 11:10pm due to calls for service.
1) CENTRAL: Residential Burglary – 5:06 am. A neighbor alerted the victim (24-year-old WF) that a known suspect ( 26-year-old HF) was attempting to break into the victim's residence in the 500 block of W Washington Ave. The victim then saw the suspect getting into her vehicle and leaving the area. An MPD sergeant also witnessed the suspect's vehicle leaving the parking lot. The suspect was taken into custody for attempted burglary and criminal damage to property. Investigation continuing. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance/Child Abuse – 8:29 am. The victim (17-year-old AAF) reported her boyfriend/suspect (18-year-old AAM) pulled her by the hair, strangled her and punched her in the stomach. The victim is pregnant with the suspect's child. The suspect also damaged the victim's vehicle before leaving the residence. Officers developed probable cause to arrest the suspect for physical abuse to a child (as the victim is 17 years old), strangulation, disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Death Investigation – 8:42 am. The husband of the decedent (71-year-old WF) found his wife passed away in bed. The decedent had a history of medical issues. Medical examiner responded. Nothing appeared suspicious on scene.
4) NORTH: Check Person/Attempted Suicide – 8:43 am. A resident in the 300 block of N Baldwin St reported he discovered a pair of pants on his deck with blood on them and a wallet with an ID. An MPD officer eventually determined the current address of the subject (34-year-old WM) to whom the ID belonged to be in the 2000 block of Sherman Ave, in the Town of Madison. Concerned for the subject's welfare, the officer entered a bedroom in the residence and found the subject with a severe cut to his wrist and a suicide note on the bed. The subject was transported to the hospital. The case is being handled by Town of Madison PD.
5) EAST: Drug Overdose – 11:10 am. Employees at Home Depot on East Springs Dr found a suspect (37-year-old WM) unresponsive in a store bathroom. Madison Fire paramedics administered naloxone and revived the suspect. Heroin and drug paraphernalia were found on the suspect who was cited for possession of heroin. Investigation continuing.
6) MIDTOWN: Stolen Auto – 11:19 am. Tech Plus, 6614 Odana Rd, reported a truck was stolen off their lot. The vehicle was listed as stolen and an ATL was aired. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Death Investigation – 11:24 am. Officers responded to a residence where a subject (60-year-old WM) had not been seen in some time and neighbors had complained to management about an odor. The subject was found deceased in his apartment. The subject had a history of medical issues. Medical examiner on scene.
8) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 12:46 pm. A victim (33-year-old AAF) and suspect (21-year-old AAF) engaged in an argument while at the Beacon, 615 E Washington Ave. The suspect pointed OC spray at the victim. Officers arrested the suspect for disorderly conduct while armed. Investigation continuing.
9) SOUTH: Adult Arrested Person – 2:05 pm. Officers responded to the residence of a suspect who was wanted on a probation and parole warrant. The suspect fled but a K9 track located him and he was taken into custody. The suspect received an additional charge of resisting arrest. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Drug Overdose – 2:13 pm. An off-duty firefighter found the suspect (35-year-old WM) with symptoms of a drug overdose in the bathroom at Woodman's East on Milwaukee St. The suspect admitted to using heroin and was charged with possession of heroin, possession of drug paraphernalia, and bail jumping and was taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
11) NORTH: Residential Burglary – 3:06 pm. A victim (63-year-old WM) reported he heard movement inside his house on Sachtjen St and discovered his front door open and his vehicle and house keys missing. Minutes later, two teenagers knocked on the victim's door asking if the victim had seen their dog. The victim asked where they lived and the teens left without providing any information. Investigation continuing.
12) WEST: Hit and Run Crash – 4:20 pm. Officers responded to a crash in the eastbound lanes of the beltline near Old Sauk Rd. The vehicle which caused the crash bore stolen temporary plates. Callers to dispatch reported a vehicle had stopped and picked up the occupants of the crashed suspect vehicle. This second vehicle was located later on the north side and the subjects denied any knowledge of the crash on the beltline. Investigation continuing.
13) NORTH: Recovered Stolen Auto/Adult Arrested Person – 4:25 pm. An MPD sergeant located a suspect vehicle in the 1400 block of Northport Dr and detained a suspect (17-year-old AAM). Review of video revealed the suspect to be the driver of the stolen vehicle which crashed into the back of a school bus on School Rd earlier in the day. The suspect was charged with OMVWOC, felony bail jumping, receiving stolen property, reckless driving, hit and run and possession of marijuana. Incident report completed on MPD website. Investigation continuing.
14) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 5:28 pm. Officers in the area of N Marquette St and Hauk St observed a suspect (41-year-old WM) who was wanted on multiple charges of bail jumping and one charge of retail theft. The suspect fled the scene and hid but was found in the back of a pickup truck. The suspect was arrested for the multiple outstanding charges as well as a new charge of resisting arrest. Investigation continuing.
15) EAST: Armed Robbery – 6:36 pm. The victim (14-year-old WM) reported he was riding his bike on McLean Dr near Cottage Grove Rd when several suspects approached him and stole his phone and cash. Incident report completed on MPD website. Investigation continuing.
16) SOUTH: Drug Incident/Overdose – 10:42 pm. Officers responded to the 2700 block of W Beltline Hwy for a suspect (40-year-old HM) who was unresponsive in a vehicle in a parking lot. Officers discovered a small container of a white powdery substance which tested positive for cocaine. The suspect was arrested for possession of cocaine and taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
17) NORTH: Weapons Offense Shots Fired – 12:40 am. Officers responded to the 1700 block of Winchester St for reports of a shot fired and a vehicle speeding in the area. Officers located one casing. There are no reports of damage to property or injuries at this time. Incident report completed on MPD website. Investigation continuing.
18) EAST: Missing/Runaway Juveniles – 2:27 am. A subject reported her two daughters (15- and 14-year-old HFs) missing. The juveniles have run away in the past. An ATL was aired and the subjects were listed as missing. Investigation continuing.