The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 07/31/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 08/01/2019, MPD received 583 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 583 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (116), East (100), Midtown (97), North (96), South (61), West (60), and Other (53). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) SOUTH: Check Person – 9:05 a.m. Officers responded to Olin Ave to transport a subject (35-year-old WM) to a facility per a court-order. The subject refused to cooperate. The subject was subsequently placed under protective custody and transported to a local hospital where he was admitted. No further action deemed necessary by officers.
2) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 9:52 a.m. Officers responded to North Street to attempt to locate a wanted suspect (19-year-old WM). The suspect was contacted, taken into custody and conveyed to jail on an outstanding probation/parole warrant.
3) NORTH: Fraud/Adult Arrested Person – 9:59 a.m. Officers responded to a business on N. Sherman Ave where staff advised that a subject/suspect (49-year-old AAM) used counterfeit cash at their store back in June (not reported to police though until today/Wednesday) and that the suspect was outside. Officers made contact with the suspect, who was found to be in possession of drug paraphernalia and burglary tools. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with uttering. Additional charges may be forthcoming. Investigation continuing.
4) WEST: Check Person/Mental Health Conveyance – 1:28 p.m. Officers responded to Putnam Rd to check the welfare of a juvenile (7-year-old AAM) who was observed running around unattended and without clothing. A witness attempted to make contact with the juvenile and the juvenile struck the window of the witness/caller's vehicle windows. Officers made contact with the juvenile and placed him under protective custody. The juvenile was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation as it was discovered that this behavior has occurred before. Journey Mental Health consulted. An emergency detention will be sought. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 3:05 p.m. Officers responded to a 911 disconnect call in the 1500 block of Troy Drive and made contact with two subjects (16-year-old AAF victim and 31-year-old AAM suspect). The victim reported that a verbal argument took place between her and her brother/suspect. The suspect slapped and punched the victim in the face/head causing the victim to fall to the ground. The suspect subsequently kicked and strangled the victim. The victim was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with domestic physical abuse to a child, strangulation, disorderly conduct, felony bail jumping and an outstanding felony warrant.
6) WEST: Information/Sexual Assault – 4:49 p.m. Officers met with a victim (17-year-old WF) who reported being inappropriately touched by a known acquaintance/suspect (18-year-old WM). Attempts were made to contact the suspect, but were unsuccessful. Probable cause was developed to arrest the suspect, once located, for sexual assault (4th degree). Investigation continuing.
7) CENTRAL: Information/Sexual Assault – 6:33 p.m. Officers responded to a local hospital and met with a victim (20-year-old WF) who reported a possible sexual assault. The victim reported being with a subject/suspect (UM) and that the suspect and another subject/suspect (AAM) took advantage of her. Limited details provided by the victim. Investigation continuing.
8) EAST: Crash with Injuries – 6:58 p.m. Officers responded to a crash at the intersection of 12/18 and Millpond Rd. The driver/suspect (81-year-old WM) attempted to make a left turn onto Millpond Road from 12/18 and struck a vehicle/driver (28-year-old WM). The driver/suspect and his wife were transported to a local hospital as a precaution. No obvious injuries observed. The driver/suspect was cited for failure to yield making a left turn.
9) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 9:33 p.m. Officers responded to the 2400 block of Calypso Rd for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (79-year-old WF victim and 25-year-old WM suspect). The suspect was causing a disturbance and threatened his grandmother. The suspect was arrested and conveyed to a local hospital for a medical clearance (due to him banging his head in the squad while en route to jail). The suspect was subsequently transported to jail and charged with domestic disorderly conduct.
10) EAST: Armed Robbery – 11:52 p.m. Officers responded to HyVee on E. Washington Rd for a report of an armed robbery. A suspect (AAF) pulled a knife on a store employee/victim (40-year-old AAF) when the suspect was confronted for shoplifting. The suspect fled with stolen merchandise. No injuries reported. Incident report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
11) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 1:44 a.m. Officers responded to the intersection of Williamson St/S. Blair St for a report of shots fired. Shell casings were recovered at the scene. No injuries or property damage reported at this time. Incident report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Check Person/Arrested Adult Person – 1:55 a.m. Officers responded to the 1800 block of E. Washington Ave to check the welfare of an intoxicated subject/suspect (26-year-old WM). The suspect was contacted by officers and was not cooperative. The suspect attempted to walk away from officers. The officers placed the suspect under arrest and the suspect continued to resist. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with resisting.
13) CITY-WIDE: Assist Law Enforcement – 3:23 a.m. MPD responded to a mutual aid request (CAPMAR – Capital Area Police Mutual Aid Response) reference a suspect who had fled from officers in Stoughton. K9 track conducted. MPD assisted with establishing a perimeter. Multiple agencies involved. Stoughton PD has the lead on this investigation. Investigation continuing.