The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 08/09/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 08/10/2019, MPD received 562 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 562 calls for service for the past 24 hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (130), East (108), Midtown (69), North (94), South (64), West (59), and Other (38). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 8:36 am. Security personnel for Walmart, 4198 Nakoosa Trl, alerted police that there was a suspect (38-year-old HM) in the store who was wanted for previous retail thefts. The suspect was driving a stolen vehicle. MPD officers apprehended the suspect in the parking lot and he was taken to jail on several warrants. Investigation continuing.
2) SOUTH: Adult Arrested Person – 10:11 am. Staff at Tellurian Detox notified police that a suspect (55-year-old WM) arrived at the facility claiming someone had dropped him off but staff observed the suspect's vehicle in the parking lot. Staff found alcoholic beverages and child pornography in the suspect's car. Officers arrived on scene and arrested the suspect on a probation hold (suspect is on probation for child pornography). Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Death Investigation – 12:01 pm. A caretaker went to check on a subject (58-year-old WM) and found him deceased in his residence. The subject had a history of health issues. Nothing suspicious found on scene.
4) NORTH: Check Person – 3:14 pm. The girlfriend of a subject (32-year-old AAM) contacted police when the subject did not pick up their children from daycare. An officer spoke to the mother of one of the subject's friends who had seen the subject and he seemed fine. At this time there were no concerns for the subject's welfare.
5) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance/Mental Health Conveyance – 7:01 pm. Officers responded to a residence where during an argument, the suspect (19-year-old HM) punched his stepfather (36-year-old HM). Due to mental health concerns, the suspect was conveyed to a local hospital and then transported to WMHI.
6) CENTRAL: Traffic Crash - 7:07 pm. Officers responded to the intersection of E Johnson St and N Baldwin St for a report of a vehicle that had crashed into a pole. Upon officers' arrival the occupants had abandoned the vehicle and fled the scene. Investigation continuing.
7) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 1:05 am. Officers were initially dispatched to a residence around 6:30pm where the suspect (23-year-old WM) was causing a disturbance. The suspect left the residence prior to police arrival. The suspect returned to the residence around 1:05am and his mother contacted police. Officers apprehended the suspect in the area after a brief foot pursuit. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
8) SOUTH: Weapons Offense – 1:32 am. Several callers to dispatch reported hearing shots fired in the 2800 block of Foxwood Trl. Officers checked the area but did not find evidence of shots fired and there are no reports of damage to property or injuries at this time. Investigation continuing.
9) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 2:17 am. MG&E workers in the area of N Baldwin St and E Johnson St reported an intoxicated suspect (26-year-old WM) was bothering them and disrupting their work. At one point the suspect threatened to kill one of the workers. During a search incident to arrest, officers found a large knife in the suspect's backpack. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct and carrying a concealed knife and was taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
10) SOUTH: Assist Police/Information – 2:18 am. Sun Prairie PD requested that MPD provide extra patrol in the 2900 block of Coho St due to a threats complaint they received from a suspect. MPD provided extra patrol and did not make contact with any subjects.
11) WEST: Recovered Stolen Vehicle – 2:43 am. Officers responded to the 6700 block of Schroeder Rd for a suspicious vehicle making laps in the parking lot. Upon arrival, officers located the vehicle in the lot unoccupied. The vehicle was listed as stolen during a previous incident. There is no suspect information at this time. Investigation continuing.
12) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 4:05 am. Several callers to dispatch reported hearing shots fired in the area of Northport Dr and Morrow Ct. Officers made contact with a victim (19-year-old AAF) in the 500 block of Northport Dr who said a bullet entered her residence and lodged in a bedroom closet. Officers located casings in the area outside the residence. No reports of injuries at this time. Investigation continuing.