The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 08/15/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 08/16/2019, MPD received 492 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 492 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (94), East (92), Midtown (73), North (93), South (50), West (54), and Other (36). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 8:32am-10:10am due to calls for service.
**Priority calls only from 1:22am-1:36pm due to calls for service.
**Priority calls only at 8:52am due to the shooting at the Beltline/Rimrock (still on priority calls at the time of this writing)
------- Weapons Violation at 7:51am on Friday, August 16: Multiple witnesses reported observing someone inside a dark colored SUV firing at a white sedan on the West Beltline Highway during rush hour this morning. The SUV left the Beltline at Rimrock Road. The white sedan continued on the West Beltline towards Monona. No reports of injuries at this time. A casing was located in the area of West Beltline/Rimrock. The white sedan has been recovered, unoccupied. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
1) NORTH: Death Investigation – 7:54 a.m. Officers responded to a north side residence for a deceased subject (32-year-old WM). Nothing suspicious observed initially at the scene. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
2) NORTH: Information/Sexual Assault – 8:57 a.m. Officers met with a victim (24-year-old WF) who reported being sexually assaulted by a suspect (UM) she had recently met. Investigation continuing.
3) NORTH: Stolen/Recovered Auto – 2:04 p.m. Officers responded to the 2800 block of N. Sherman Ave for a report of a stolen auto. The stolen vehicle was later involved in a reckless driving complaint. Officers located/observed the vehicle in a parking lot of an apartment complex with a group of subjects around it. The vehicle drove away and was subsequently involved in a crash where the occupants fled. The vehicle was recovered. K9 track conducted. The occupants/suspects are at-large. Investigation continuing.
4) NORTH: Crash/Property Damage – 7:04 p.m. Officers responded to the 4800 block of Hayes Rd after a driver/vehicle 62-year-old WF) struck a building. No injuries reported. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Information/Sexual Assault of a Child – 8:08 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a report of a sexual assault of a child. Child Protective Services plugged in. The involved children include a 14-year-old WM and a 7-year-old WM. Investigation continuing.
6) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 11:52 p.m. Officers responded to the 100 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd for a disturbance between two subjects/suspects (36-year-old WM and 35-year-old WM). Both suspects exchanged words and were involved in a tussle. The 35-year-old WM suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct and multiple bail jumping charges. The 36-year-old WM suspect was arrested for an outstanding warrant and multiple bail jumping charges.
7) WEST: Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 12:26 a.m. Officers responded to the 5800 block of Russett Rd after receiving multiple calls of shots fired. Area canvassed. Casings were recovered. No reports of injuries or property damage at this time. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
8) CENTRAL: Battery – 3:30 a.m. Officers responded to W. Main St for a report of a battery. The victim (40-year-old WM) reported being hit in the head by a known acquaintance/suspect (UM) regarding an owed drug debt. Investigation continuing.