The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 08/27/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 08/28/2019, MPD received 538 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 538 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (108), East (95), Midtown (77), North (75), South (66), West (67), and Other (50). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
?1) EAST: Disturbance/Adult Arrested Person – 8:39 a.m. Officers responded to Nakoosa Trail for a disturbance between two subjects (65-year-old AAM victim and 31-year-old AAM suspect). The suspect threw the victim to the ground. The suspect was cited for disorderly conduct and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation/medical clearance. Once medically cleared the suspect was transported to jail for a probation/parole hold.
2) CENTRAL: Missing Adult – 10:05 a.m. Officers responded to E. Main St for a report of a missing suicidal subject (20-year-old WF). Attempt to locate aired. K9 assisted with a track. Phone ping conducted. Investigation continuing.
3) CENTRAL: Non-Residential Burglary – 10:06 a.m. Officers responded to a business on E. Wilson St for a report of a burglary. The victim (36-year-old WM) reported items missing from the business and had surveillance video showing a suspect (WM) entering the building in the middle of the night. Investigation continuing.
4) MIDTOWN: Recovered Stolen Vehicle – 12:15 p.m. An officer located a stolen vehicle (unoccupied) on Red Arrow Trail. The vehicle was reported stolen out of Fitchburg. Fitchburg PD responded and took over the investigation. Fitchburg PD has the lead on this investigation. Investigation continuing.
5) WEST: Stolen & Recovered Vehicle/Adult Arrested Person – 1:38 p.m. Officers received a report of a stolen/unreturned vehicle. The registered owner/victim (28-year-old WF) allowed her boyfriend to drive her vehicle and he subsequently loaned the vehicle to his cousin/suspect (25-year-old AAM) who ended up not returning the vehicle and would not answer phone calls from the victim/victim's boyfriend. The vehicle and suspect were later located in Oshkosh, after a phone ping identified a location. The suspect was arrested for operating a motor vehicle without consent and outstanding warrants. The victim was notified of the vehicle's location.
6) EAST: Drug Incident/Overdose – 2:35 p.m. Officers responded to Thierer Rd for a pulseless non-breathing subject (40-year-old WM). The subject was administered Naloxone prior to officers arrival and was revived. Drug evidence observed on scene. The subject admitted to heroin use. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital. The subject was cited for possession of heroin, possession of drug paraphernalia and referred to the Madison Addiction Recovery Initiative (MARI).
7) CENTRAL: Information/Sexual Assault – 3:46 p.m. Officers met with a victim (19-year-old WF) who reported a possible sexual assault that occurred a few days ago involving a HM suspect. Investigation continuing.
8) NORTH: Death Investigation – 4:34 p.m. Officers responded to the 4500 block of E. Washington Ave regarding a pulseless non-breathing subject (60-year-old UM). The subject was pronounced deceased at the scene. Medical Examiner's Office responded. No foul play suspected. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
9) NORTH: Armed Robbery – 7:41 p.m. Officers responded to Northside Liquor on N. Sherman Ave reference an armed robbery. A suspect (AAM) confronted an employee/victim (43-year-old WM) with a gun and demanded money. The suspect fled on foot with cash. Investigation continuing.
10) NORTH: Recovered Stolen Vehicle/Juvenile Arrest – 7:50 p.m. Officers responded to Kipling Drive for a report of a suspicious vehicle. Contact was attempted and the occupants fled on foot. The vehicle was determined to be stolen. Officers located the four subjects and detained them. One of the subjects (16-year-old AAM) was found to have an outstanding capias (warrant) so he was conveyed to the Juvenile Reception Center. The other subjects were released as no charges were substantiated at this time. Investigation continuing.
11) NORTH: Traffic Stop/Adult Arrested Person – 8:30 p.m. A wanted suspect (22-year-old UM) was observed driving on E. Washington/East Springs Drive. A traffic stop was initiated and the suspect was taken into custody without incident. Drug paraphernalia was observed in plain view in the vehicle. A subsequent search yielded marijuana and a significant amount of cash. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with disorderly conduct while armed, possession of marijuana with intent to sell and bail jumping. Investigation continuing.
12) SOUTH: Drug Overdose/Adult Arrested Person – 10:07 p.m. Officers responded to a south side residence for a subject/suspect (50-year-old WM) experiencing an overdose. The suspect had been administered Naloxone prior to officers arrival. Drug evidence observed on scene. The suspect was conveyed to a local hospital for a medical clearance. The suspect was subsequently arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with possession of heroin, possession of paraphernalia and an outstanding warrant.
13) NORTH: Mental Health Conveyance – 1:31 a.m. Officers responded to a local hospital regarding a subject (15-year-old WF) who was in need of an emergency detention/conveyance. The subject was conveyed to Winnebago at approximately 5am by MPD.