The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 09/01/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 09/02/2019, MPD received 464 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 464 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (91), East (92), Midtown (69), North (74), South (44), West (62), and Other (32). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priorities for Central, North, and East districts from 7:17 p.m. to 8:17 p.m.**
1) SOUTH: Found Property – 8:47 a.m. MPD was dispatched to a report of found property, reference a male subject locating four debit cards in the parking lot of his residence on Luann Ln. Investigation revealed that the cards had been reported stolen in a burglary outside of Dane County the previous night. The vehicle driven by the suspects in that incident had been reported to MPD as a stolen auto. Investigation continuing.
2) SOUTH: Found Property – 11:07 a.m. A female subject stopped by the South Police District Station (825 Hughes Pl) with a passport and a sum of money that were located in the area of E Johnson St at N Paterson St.
3) NORTH: Sex Offense-Miscellaneous – 12:23 p.m. MPD was dispatched to the Walgreens on Northport Dr, reference an online photo order that was received with some concerning depictions. It was determined that MPD would confiscate the photos. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Check Person-Weapon – 4:32 p.m. MPD was dispatched to an East side residential address, reference a 19-year-old HF subject who was intoxicated and threatening self-harm. The subject's mother left the residence at which point the subject locked herself inside. Officers made entry with keys, negotiated with the subject, and were able to take her into custody without incident. Superficial cuts were observed on the subject's arms. The subject was subsequently transported to Detox. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Weapons Offense – 5:05 p.m. An 18-year-old WM victim had called Dispatch to advise that someone was threatening him with a gun. The first officer to arrive observed a 23-year-old AAM suspect striking the victim shortly before the suspect fled on foot, as well as a vehicle leaving the area. Dane County Sheriff's Office (DCSO) was in the area and observed the vehicle at N Thompson Dr and Hwy 30. A vehicle stop was conducted and DCSO detained the driver (19-year-old WF). A search of the vehicle yielded the male suspect (located in the trunk), as well as two facsimile handguns. Ultimately, the male suspect was transported to jail on charges of resisting, disorderly conduct (while armed), battery, and bail jumping. The female suspect/driver was cited and released for party to crimes of disorderly conduct (while armed) and battery. The victim, as well as an additional 19-year-old WM victim who was present at the time, reported that the disturbance was over a girl, however, there is a possibility that this incident could have begun as a drug transaction.
6) EAST: Check Person/Emergency Detention – 6:15 p.m. MPD was dispatched to the 800 block of N Thompson Dr, reference a 30-year-old WF subject who was biting, kicking, and hitting a staff worker as well as her mother. The subject was described as being in a manic state and out of control. The subject was taken to a local hospital for evaluation and was subsequently transported to Winnebago Mental Health.
7) MIDTOWN: Traffic Arrest – 6:19 p.m. MPD officers effected a traffic stop on a vehicle for suspended registration at the intersection of Flambeau Rd and Tomahawk Trl. The driver/suspect (34-year-old WF) was in possession of drug paraphernalia, as well as had a warrant, and was subsequently arrested. The passenger/suspect (27-year-old WF) was also in possession of drug paraphernalia, and was subsequently arrested (MARI eligible).
8) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 7:32 p.m. MPD was dispatched to the 6000 block of Mineral Point Rd to check the welfare of a 55-year-old WF subject who was reported to have expressed suicidal desires to a family member. Officers made contact with the subject who said she was not suicidal at the time, but just wanted attention. The subject was provided Journey Mental Health's 24-hour number and was encouraged to call if she needed assistance.
9) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 10:16 p.m. MPD was dispatched to a residence on Regent St, reference a 19-year-old WM suspect who was breaking things and causing a disturbance. Investigation determined that the suspect became upset with family after being told to take greater responsibility for his actions. After consulting with Journey Mental Health, it was determined that the suspect would be arrested for domestic-related charges of criminal damage to property and disorderly conduct. The suspect was subsequently conveyed to jail.
10) SOUTH: Information/Weapons Offense-Person w/Gun – 1:56 a.m. MPD was dispatched to Raymond Rd, reference a witness reporting two men fighting outside and one of them displaying a gun. The suspect was seen getting into a vehicle that was still parked at the time officers arrived on scene. Officers made contact with the vehicle which was unoccupied. Investigation continuing.
11) EAST: Weapons Offense-Shots Fired – 5:06 a.m. MPD was dispatched to the area of Topaz Ln/Vernon Ave, reference multiple callers reporting hearing possible gunshots in the area. Officers checked the surrounding area and located seven shell casings in the roadway. Subsequent investigation revealed that one home was hit by a bullet and an outdoor planter in another home was struck. Investigation continuing.