The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 09/12/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 09/13/2019, MPD received 617 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 617 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (131), East (130), Midtown (100), North (95), South (55), West (75), and Other (31). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
**Priority calls only from 12:10pm to 12:40pm and from 3:30pm to 5:20pm due to calls for service.
1) MIDTOWN: Weapons Offense Shots Fired – 2:58 am. Officers were dispatched to the 2300 block of Allied Dr for multiple reports of shots fired. Officers canvassed the area and were unable to locate any evidence of damage to property or injured persons at that time. Later that morning a resident in the 2300 block of Allied Dr reported discovering what appeared to be a bullet hole in her garage door. Officers found evidence that shots were fired and the vehicle inside the garage was also struck. The vehicle was not occupied at the time and there are no reports of injuries or other property damage at this time. Incident report completed on MPD website. Investigation continuing. *This was a late call that did not make the notes from the previous 24-hour cycle.
2) NORTH: Information/Sexual Assault of a Child – 9:30 am. A victim (15-year-old UF) reported that a suspect (14-year-old AAM) made inappropriate sexual contact with her. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Robbery – 10:13 am. A suspect (33-year-old AAM) entered the Associated Bank at 4402 East Towne Blvd and demanded money while keeping a hand in a pocket making it appear he might be armed. He fled on foot with cash. The suspect was located and was arrested on a warrant from a previous incident and taken to jail. Investigation continuing. Incident report completed on MPD website.
4) WEST: Death Investigation – 2:40 pm. A friend requested that officers check the welfare of a subject (48-year-old WM) who had not been seen or heard from for several days. The subject, who had a history of physical and mental health issues, was found deceased in his residence. Nothing suspicious on scene. Medical examiner responded to the scene.
5) EAST: Armed Robbery – 3:24 pm. The victim (30-year-old AAM) met with the suspects (35-, 34- and 30-year-old AAMs) at the Park N Ride at 4 Collins Ct to buy marijuana. One of the suspects pointed a gun at the victim and stole cash from the victim. Investigation continuing.
6) NORTH: Residential Burglary – 3:47 pm. A security company notified police of an alarm at a residence in the 1900 block of Windom Way. Upon arrival officers discovered signs of forced entry to the home and residents reported several items missing. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Traffic Crash/OMVWI/Arrested Adult – 4:58 pm. The suspect ( 57-year-old WM) rear ended a vehicle at the intersection of Stoughton Rd and E Washington Ave. The suspect was arrested and charged with OMVWI 6th offense as well as traffic citations. Investigation continuing.
8) EAST: Information/Sexual Assault of a Child – 7:11 pm. MPD officers assisted Sun Prairie PD with an investigation into the sexual assault of a victim (5-year-old AAM) by the child's father (58-year-old AAM). Child Protective Services was notified and a safety plan was put in place. Investigation continuing.
9) NORTH: Check Person – 9:09 pm. Officers responded to a residence for a subject (39-year-old WF) who was suicidal and engaging in self harm. Officers made contact with the subject who agreed to seek treatment and was voluntarily conveyed to a local hospital.
10) SOUTH: Drug Overdose – 10:08 pm. Officers and MFD paramedics responded to the 2500 block of Perry St for a suspect (41-year-old WF) who had overdosed and was unresponsive. The suspect was revived with naloxone and admitted to using heroin. The suspect was offered participation in the MARI program.
11) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense/Arrested Adult – 12:26 am. Officers on foot patrol observed the suspect (31-year-old AAM) at a vehicle holding a firearm in the parking ramp at 430 N Frances St. The suspect left the ramp on foot and officers observed a firearm in plain view in the vehicle. Officers determined the suspect is a felony offender and later located and detained the suspect in the downtown area. The suspect was arrested on a charge of felon in possession of a firearm and was taken to jail. Investigation continuing.