The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:30 a.m. on 04/18/2018 through 5:30 a.m. on 04/19/2018, MPD received 414 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
**Priority only calls from 2:10pm-3:15pm due to calls for service.
**Limited crash response from 5pm-8pm due to calls for service and the weather.
1) NORTH: Check Person – 5:01 a.m. Officers responded to Kennedy Heights for a disturbance between a mother and her daughter (25-year-old AAF). The daughter was ultimately conveyed to a local hospital where she was voluntarily admitted. The subject was left in the care of medical staff. No charges were substantiated. Investigation continuing. * This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 8:32 a.m. Officers responded to Pennsylvania Ave for a wanted subject/suspect (38-year-old AAM). The suspect was wanted in a previous auto theft incident. The suspect was located and conveyed to jail on the outstanding warrant.
3) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 8:36 a.m. Officers observed a wanted subject/suspect (34-year-old WM) on E. Main St. The suspect was contacted and taken into custody.
4) WEST: Drug Incident Overdose – 4:16 p.m. Officers responded to Schroeder Rd for a report of an unconscious subject (20-year-old WM). The subject was roused and conveyed to a local hospital. The subject was charged with possession of heroin and possession of drug paraphernalia.
5) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 4:35 p.m. I, along with Captain Cory Nelson from our West District, decided enough was enough with regards to this weather. We made contact with the Channel 3 Meteorologist Dave Caulfield and developed probable cause to arrest him on charges of theft (of spring) and instigating this prolonged pain and misery for all (in order to set weather "records"). Hopefully spring will be returned soon. https://www.channel3000.com/news/police-chief-arrests-news-3-meteorologist-for-stealing-spring-1/731390938 (Thanks, Dave, for allowing us to have some fun).
6) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 4:54 p.m. Officers responded to a report that a child (7-year-old AAF) stated her mother (27-year-old AAF) scratched her. Child Protective Services notified. A safety plan was put into place. No charges were substantiated at this time. The child was placed with another family member for the evening. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 5:34 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (34-year-old WF victim and 34-year-old WM suspect). The victim sustained visible injuries from a previous incident with the suspect. Probable cause was established to arrest the suspect on charges related to two separate domestic incidents. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct (two counts) and bail jumping (related to another previous domestic arrest).
8) CENTRAL: Information – 6:40 p.m. Officers met with two individuals who located some inappropriate materials on a flash drive that had been given to them by a third subject. Investigation continuing.
9) NORTH: Check Person – 6:43 p.m. Officers responded to a motel on E. Washington Ave to check the welfare of multiple children. Child Protective Services was contacted. No concerns were identified for the children at this time. Investigation continuing.
10) MIDTOWN: Check Property – 12:14 a.m. Officers responded to a residence on Wynnwood Way after a resident came home to find her front door open. Officers cleared the residence. The homeowner did not find anything had been taken from the home at this time. Investigation continuing.
11) WEST: Check Person – 1:27 a.m. Officers responded, at the request of the Dane County Sheriff's Office, regarding a possible domestic situation that occurred in the City. The Sheriff's Office arrested a suspect (28-year-old AAM) for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. The suspect made statements about a domestic that occurred with his girlfriend. MPD responded to interview the suspect who would not cooperate with providing contact information (name/address) for his girlfriend. Attempts were made to identify the girlfriend and find her location to check her welfare, without success. Investigation continuing.