The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 08/23/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 08/24/2018, MPD received 585 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 585 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (120), East (142), Midtown (70), North (84), South (56), West (76), and Other (37). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) WEST: Residential Burglary – 8:37 a.m. A victim (28-year-old WF) reported finding her residence door kicked in and cash stolen (1000 block of McKenna Blvd). Several hours prior to this incident, the victim located an unknown suspect in her vehicle. The suspect fled. Detectives believe the victim was specifically targeted and that the two crimes are connected. Press release completed. Investigation continuing.
2) EAST: Mental Health Conveyance – 3:00 p.m. Officers responded to the 4500 block of Milwaukee St to make contact with a subject (28-year-old AAM) who is under a Chapter 51 (mental health) order. The subject was saying that "devils and demons" were telling him to attack people. The subject was transported to a local hospital for a medical clearance before conveyed to Winnebago. Officers started their transport to Winnebago around 1am. **This call lasted 10 hours.
3) NORTH: Drug Incident/Overdose – 3:35 p.m. Officers responded to Troy Dr for a subject (17-year-old WF) experiencing an overdose (pills). The subject was conveyed to a local hospital where she was left in the care of medical staff.
4) SOUTH: Assist MFD – 4:41 p.m. A construction company working on Gilson St struck a gas line. MG&E notified/responded. MFD on scene. MPD assisted with traffic control.
5) EAST: Check Area – 7:03 p.m. Officers responded to the area of Milwaukee St/N. Thompson for a report of shots fired. Area checked. No evidence of shots fired located.
6) NORTH: Drug Incident/Overdose – 8:32 p.m. Officers responded to Kipling Dr for a subject (37-year-old WF) who reported taking too much of her prescription medication and combining it with alcohol. The subject was transported to a local hospital and left in the care of medical staff.
7) CENTRAL: Information/Suspicious Person – 9:06 p.m. Dispatch was contacted after two 13-year-olds, who were leaving the Orton Park Festival, were contacted by an unknown subject (WM) who was driving by them and asked them if they wanted a ride. The juveniles walked away and reported the incident to their mother who contacted police. Areas checked. No suspect located. Investigation continuing.
8) NORTH: Stolen Auto – 10:06 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a stolen auto on Northport Drive. Two potential suspects (AAMs) were identified by the victim (23-year-old WF). Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
9) WEST: Weapons Offense – 10:13 p.m. Officers responded to Raymond Rd/Prairie Rd for a report of shots fired and yelling in the area. Officers canvassed the area and did not locate any casings, damage or evidence of injuries. Additional canvassing may be necessary during the daylight. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Armed Robbery – 12:00 a.m. Officers responded to an east side residence after the homeowners (57-year-old WF and 61-year-old WM) reported two armed suspects (AAMs) entered their home. The suspects fled with items from the home. K9 responded. Suspects at-large. Investigation continuing.
11) EAST: Information/Armed Robbery – 3:30 a.m. Officers met with a victim (23-year-old AM) who reported being robbed of his cell phone. The victim provided information of an acquaintance (WM) that was with him at the time and reported that an unknown suspect (AAM) produced a knife and demanded that he empty his pockets. The acquaintance and suspect are at-large. Investigation continuing.