The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 4/28/2019 through 6:00 a. m. on 4/29/2019, MPD received 388 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 388 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (72), East (57), Midtown (78), North (60), South (39), West (49), and Other (33). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 8:40 a.m. Officers responded to Claire St for a report of a domestic disturbance. The suspect (30-year-old AAF) and victim (43-year-old AAM) got into a verbal altercation which culminated in the suspect grabbing a tire iron and smashing the rear window of the car the victim was seated in. The suspect was subsequently arrested on a domestic related charge of disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
2) MIDOTWN: Information – 11:00 a.m. An MPD officer responded to a residence in the 2800 block of Arbor Dr after hearing a woman's cries for help. A construction crew was operating a boom lift next to the building where the woman and her child (4-year-old WM) live when the boom lift accidently hit a window and scared the child. Madison Fire responded and determined the child was not injured; just frightened. Investigation continuing.
3) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 12:03 p.m. Officers responded to Brentwood Pkwy for reports of a domestic disturbance. The suspect (34-year-old AAM) and his wife (41-year-old AAF) got into an argument. The suspect's sister/victim (27-year-old AAF) attempted to intervene. The suspect the punched the intervener/victim repeatedly in the face. The suspect fled the scene in a vehicle. Probable cause exists for a domestic related charge of Battery and a parole hold. Investigation continuing.
4) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 12:16 p.m. Officers responded to the 1900 block of Northport Dr for a report of a domestic disturbance. After a lengthy argument, the suspect (20-year-old AAM) pulled the victim (23-year-old AAF) by her hair and elbowed her in the mouth. The suspect tried to punch the victim but missed her and put his fist through the drywall. After the victim fled the apartment the suspect kicked the victim's TV, causing damage. There is probable cause for multiple domestic charges for the suspect. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Damage to Property – 2:01 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a suspect causing a disturbance by damaging property. The suspect (22-year-old AAM) damaged a few doors in the house and then fled the area. Probable cause exists for charges of Criminal Damage to Property and Disorderly Conduct. Investigation continuing.
6) CENTRAL: Sexual Assault – 2:13 p.m. MPD officers took a report of a sexual assault that occurred on 4/27. The victim (20-year-old UF) met the suspect (21-year-old UM) at the Mifflin St event through some mutual friends. The victim was alone with the suspect in his bedroom before being taken back to the UW dorms by her friends. The victim did go to a local hospital for an exam, but the police were not contacted until the victim returned home (out of state). Investigation continuing.
7) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 10:39 p.m. While on routine patrol, an officer observed a suspect (43-year-old WM) from a series of ongoing disturbances in the State St area. When officers went to arrest the suspect, he began resisting; kicking and spitting at the officers. The suspect was transported to a local hospital for a medical clearance where he continued his resistive behavior which included lunging at and making death threats towards hospital staff and biting an officer. The suspect was charged with numerous offenses and transported to jail. Two officers will undergo follow-up protocols for significant exposures after having been bit and spit on. Investigation continuing.
8) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 11:46 p.m. Officers responded to a residence on Morraine View Dr for a domestic disturbance. The suspect (32-year-old HM) pushed the victim (30-year-old HF) against the wall and slapped her. The suspect was subsequently arrested for domestic related charges of Battery and Disorderly Conduct. Investigation continuing.
9) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance – 12:02 a.m. Officers were dispatched to Curry Pkwy for a domestic disturbance. During the investigation officers learned that the suspect (21-year-old AAM) and the victim (21-year-old AAF) were arguing which escalated to the point where the suspect stole the victim's phone and fled from the scene. Based on a past domestic history, the victim was afraid for her safety and probable cause was established for domestic related charges of Disorderly Conduct and Theft. Investigation continuing.