The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 5/20/2019 through 6:00 a. m. on 5/21/2019, MPD received 491 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 491 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (99), East (103), Midtown (80), North (59), South (52), West (58), and Other (40). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
*** Priorities city wide at approximately 8:25pm - 9:00pm due to numerous resource intensive calls.
1) NORTH: Armed Robbery – 7:33 a.m. A victim (48-year-old AAM) came into the North Police District to report he had been robbed. Specifically, the victim advised he was robbed at gunpoint on 5/14/2019 on Troy Dr. The victim stated that he was dropping off a friend (41-year-old AAM) when he was subsequently approached by an AAM suspect and was robbed. Investigation revealed the robbery may have been captured on surveillance tape. Investigation continuing.
2) WEST: OMVVWI Arrest/Intoxicated Driver – 8:37 a.m. Officers responded to the Kelley's Market on Junction Ct for a suspect (33-year-old WF) who was passed out with the vehicle running. Evidence suggesting drug use was found in her purse. The suspect was subsequently arrested for 3rd Offense OWI and taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
3) MIDTOWN: Disturbance- 10:40 a.m. MPD arrested a 35-year-old woman inside Jefferson Middle School after she created a loud disruption and made several threats of violence. The woman was attempting to get into the school, but was stopped as she is not to be on the property without providing staff with advance notice due to past disturbances. After being prevented from entering, staff members said the woman threatened to "shoot up the school," or start it on fire, or drive her car into the front doors. The suspect denied making the statements. She was arrested for disorderly conduct and unlawful trespass. (Incident Report completed on MPD's website.)
4) NORTH: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 2:02 p.m. A juvenile (16-year-old WF) ran away from her care team. The juvenile was listed as missing in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
5) SOUTH: Residential Burglary – 4:00 p.m. Officers responded to the 1100 block of Moorland Rd. reference a burglary that occurred two days earlier. The victim (57-year-old WF) reported there was no forced entry as she routinely leaves her door unlocked. Probable cause does not yet exist to charge any suspect. Investigation continuing.
6) CITY-WIDE: Stolen Auto – 6:43 p.m. Officers respond to numerous callers reporting an erratic driver and discovered the vehicle being driven was listed as stolen. The vehicle was observed all over the city and a traffic stop was initiated but the vehicle took off. The vehicle was followed through various districts until officers lost their visual. Investigation continuing.
7) WEST: Disturbance – 7:53 p.m. Officers responded to 6500 block of Raymond Rd reference a disturbance where the suspect (27-year-old AAF) broke into the victim's (34-year-old AAF) residence through a window and struck the victim. The suspect was taken into custody on charges including Criminal Damage to Property, Battery, Disorderly Conduct, and Burglary While Armed with a Dangerous Weapon. Investigation continuing.
8) EAST: Check Person – 8:20 p.m. Officers responded to 700 block of Gannon Ave. reference a subject (37-year-old UM) actively engaging in self-harm. The subject has mental health concerns and is cognitively delayed. The subject did calm down and a tourniquet was applied by an officer. The subject was transported to local hospital and an MHO is plugged in. Investigation continuing.
9) SOUTH: Check Person – 8:24 p.m. Officers responded to the intersection of W Broadway and Hoboken Rd for an individual (27-year-old AAF) running into traffic attempting to get hit. Contact was made with the subject who stated she was suicidal. The subject was voluntarily transported to a local hospital for an evaluation. Journey Mental Health plugged in to assist. Investigation continuing.
10) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 11:01 p.m. Officers were dispatched to a residence on the north side for prolonged issues between a son/suspect (25-year-old WM) and mom/victim (60-year-old WF) throughout the day. Based on the investigation of the incidents, the suspect was arrested on a domestic-related charge of Disorderly Conduct. Investigation continuing.
11) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 11:48 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a report of a domestic disturbance. The victim (39-year-old AAF) called police because the suspect (50-year-old AAM) was trying to take her car without permission. The suspect left the area on foot prior to officer arrival. Investigation continuing.