The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 06/28/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 06/29/2019, MPD received 571 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 571 calls for service for the past 24 hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (124), East (88), Midtown (97), North (80), South (55), West (71), and Other (56). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 11:15am-12:05pm, 1:40pm-5:20pm, 6:20pm-8:20pm and 11:00pm-6:15am due to calls for service.
1) WEST: Disturbance – 5:12 a.m. Officers responded to a disturbance that involved three subjects (40-year-old AAF victim, 9-year-old AAF victim and 15-year-old AAM suspect) on Gammon Road. The adult female is the mother to the minor victim and suspect. It was reported that the suspect started a disturbance while riding in a vehicle with the two victims. The suspect threatened the victims and knocked a cell phone out of his sister's hands. The suspect subsequently threw the cell phone out of the vehicle. After consultation with the mother of the suspect, it was decided that it was in the best interest of all that the suspect be charged with disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property. The suspect was later released to his mother after alternative placement searches were unsuccessful. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) MIDTOWN: Adult Arrested Person – 7:11 a.m. Officers received a request from a family member to check the welfare of a subject/suspect (38-year-old WM) who was concerned about his mental health. A phone ping was conducted to locate the subject. The subject was contacted by officers on Regent Street. When officers went to place the subject into protective custody, the subject struck an officer in the face with a closed fist. The officer was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation/treatment. The suspect was arrested and conveyed to Winnebago Mental Health Institute. Charges forthcoming. Incident report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
3) SOUTH: Sexual Assault – 9:36 a.m. Officers met with a victim (20-year-old AAF) who reported she was sexually assaulted by an acquaintance (AAM). The suspect was arrested for attempted 2nd degree sexual assault and conveyed to jail. Investigation continuing.
4) NORTH: Sexual Assault – 12:33 pm. The victim (18-year-old AAF) reported an acquaintance (18-year-old AAM) made inappropriate sexual contact with her. When the victim tried to leave, the suspect held her against the wall by her throat. The victim told the suspect to stop and she was able to leave. When police made contact with the suspect, he admitted to the battery and sexual assault. The suspect was taken to jail for 4th degree sexual assault, battery, disorderly conduct and bail jumping. Investigation continuing.
5) WEST: Strong Arm Robbery – 12:52 pm. The victim was exiting her vehicle in the parking lot at West Towne Mall when a suspect approached her from behind and demanded her keys and phone. A brief struggle ensued and the suspect knocked the victim to the ground before taking her car keys. The suspect tried to take the victim's vehicle but could not figure out how to operate it. The suspect then left the area in a vehicle stolen from Warner park the previous evening. Investigation continuing. Incident report completed on MPD website.
6) WEST: Sexual Assault – 1:17 pm. A victim (33-year-old NAF) reported an acquaintance (29-year-old AAM) sexually assaulted her at his residence. Evidence from a forensic nurse exam corroborated the victim's story. Officers attempted contact with the suspect but were unsuccessful. Probable cause was developed to charge the suspect with 3rd degree sexual assault. Investigation continuing.
7) NORTH: Drug Overdose – 2:07 pm. The suspect (34-year-old AAM) was found down in a bathroom at the Comfort Inn on E Washington Ave after overdosing on a variety of drugs. The suspect was charged with possession of heroin and was referred to the MARI program. Investigation continuing.
8) EAST: Drug Overdose – 5:11 pm. The suspect (30-year-old WM) overdosed in the street near the intersection of Hermina St and Union St. MFD arrived and administered naloxone before transporting the suspect to the hospital. The suspect admitted to officers that he had used heroin prior the overdose. The suspect was cited for possession of heroin and paraphernalia, and was referred to the MARI program. Investigation continuing.
9) CENTRAL: Sexual Assault – 9:25 pm. A victim (64-year-old WF) reported an acquaintance (53-year-old WM) made inappropriate sexual contact with her on the sidewalk area in the first block of N Carroll St. A city camera captured most of the incident. The suspect was arrested for 2nd degree sexual assault, disorderly conduct and bail jumping. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 10:40 pm. A suspect (24-year-old AAM) for whom there was probable cause to arrest for domestic disorderly conduct turned himself in to police. Investigation continuing.
11) CENTRAL: Battery – 11:54 pm. Officers responded to the Sylvee at 25 S Livingston St for a victim (29-year-old WM) who was struck in the face, breaking his jaw and knocking out a tooth. The victim was incapacitated by alcohol and could not provide a statement. A witness reported seeing the suspect punch the victim and provided a limited suspect description. Investigation continuing.
12) NORTH: Sexual Assault of a Child – 1:02 am. The victim (5-year-old WF) reported to her mother that her stepbrother (14-year-old WM) made inappropriate sexual contact with her. The parents confronted the suspect and the suspect admitted to the assault. Child Protective Services was notified and a safety plan was put in place. Investigation continuing.